Jaguar.....

Always fancied one, probably same vintage as a C900,

XJ6 89-95ish Probably a straight 6 rather than a V8

Opinions would be appreciated, especially from those who've owned/driven them.

Don't panic(celebrate for some) I'm not leaving the fold, it would be an additional car, my Aero stays with me til I die, she dies, or we both die...(!!)

Al

Reply to
Al

in article Fud%f.69033$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 12/04/2006 21:33:

My father has an '88 XJ40 shape (the same as an XJ6 AKAIK) Daimler; one of the few models with a fully electronic dash. It's "the six" as an automatic and a bloomin' lovely car. Shagpile carpets ... Makes you want to take your shoes off before getting into the car :)

I think the rectangular lights are a real '80s retro treat! They're available for both the Jaguar and Daimler marques.

Cost? 1000-3000 UKP for a good one.

Look out for electrical oddities. On my father's everything is controlled by a central computer, even the indicators and brake lights. The instruction is sent to the computer, which gives out an instruction to the signal. Oddities, like the indicator light on the dash flashing double-quick *only when braking* while on the outside, the indicator is flashing normally. Initially, the passenger window went down when cornering to the left with the brake applied :) Other models/years may vary.

Neglected models may suffer more with electrical oddities and perhaps a little rust in the boot. Check the prop shaft mountings for signs of wear, since they don't always whine when they're about to fail.

Consumption? 18-22 MPG seems normal for a cruising auto "six". Not too bad, really ... Well worth owning for a year or two. Anyhow, there's a full buyers guide here:

Personally, I'm going for an XJS for my 40th.

Keep us informed ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article C0632BC4.29A3% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 12/04/2006 22:12:

... Oh, duh!

Do your research on the wheels! Some have odd tyre ratios that will cost you more than the car to replace!

are a good source for some odd ratio tyres and someone posted what looked like a good link for TRX tyres on UK SAABs. I'll have to hunt that link down.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

"Al" wrote in news:Fud%f.69033$zI1.19087 @fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Never owned one but seriously considered it several times. Was looking at the same vintage you are or even a bit earlier. Decided I really couldn't afford it, since it would be my only car. Found lots of good info here:

Laura K

But have you actually priced TRX'? 8-) Here in Oz the one distributor sells them for about $450 per tyre retail, but I can get them a little cheaper (still more than $400 per tyre!).

I'm still wanting to get a set of TRX's for my 8V turbo C900, but I think it won't happen for at least another 6 months or so.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

"Personally, I'm going for an XJS for my 40th. "

Now there's a good point, it's my 40th in November!

Al

Reply to
Al

Paul,

I just caught your signature file, "900 Turbo S". I didn't think there was such a model, or are you joking?

I recall it was either a Turbo or an "S" model.

SG

Reply to
SG

TireRack sells Michelin TRX 220/55VR390 for US $211 ea. ($291 AU).

Reply to
Fred W

such a model, or are you joking?

In the UK, the "S" on the C900 never denoted a normally aspirated model. The Turbo 16S (or, T16S) was the UK equivalent of the US SPG or European Aero, rated to 175 BHP. The 900 S was introduced somewhere around 1990 and was a 145 BHP LPT 16V. Oddly enough, in the UK, that model was the first time "Aero" appeared on the registration document.

The Turbo S is a late 8V model, also called the T8 Special. Both the UK and Sweden got this car, although their exterior detailing was different ... see my Special Editions website to be enlightened :)

Paul (posting via Google Groups)

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I ran a Mark 2 3.4 way back in 1965/66. Fortunately it was before the intrduction of the 70 limit and one could use a Jaguar as it was intended unlike nowadays when the only racing takes place from traffic lights and fizzles out at 50 mph.. The original bit of the M6, it was called the Preston by-pass IIRC, had just been opened and I used to run flat out along it. The big and very big snag with cars as early as this was rust, the rust grew as you watched it! I finally traded it for a Ford Cortina! The straight six was a lovely engine, the only snag was the plastic drive key for the rev counter which sheared every so often. I still have the official Jaguar workshop manual for the car.

Reply to
John Hudson

The XJ series are unreliable and expensive to maintain. They feature strange idiosyncratic and sometimes dumb engineering but they are beautiful to drive if the suspension is properly maintained.

If you want a reliable and powerful XJ the best thing to do is to throw out the engine and gearbox and fit a good second hand 4.0L Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 engine/trans. These engines are very strong and utterly reliable and can be tuned to produce huge power.

There are quite a lot of XJs getting around here (Australia) with Holden (GM) and Ford V8 5.0 litre engines and gearboxes.

Another plus with the engine/trans conversion is that with the money you save in not continually replacing leaked oil you will be able afford to get all the electrics replaced.

Reply to
ShazWozza