Multiple Water Pumps in 98 SL2

In my 98 SL2, the original water pump lasted 43K (Sept 2000). Just had the water pump replaced again at 95K. Is this fairly typical for this model? The Saturn service guy said the current (replacement) water pumps are better quality than the original pump, so I probably won't need to replace it again for the life of the car. Any truth to that, or was he just blowing smoke? He had no idea how long I intend to keep this car.

I have never had a car for this many miles, so I really don't know what to expect.

Thanks for any info.

-- Jay

Reply to
Jay Bollyn

I don't know if the 92s used the same pump, but I replaced an original pump at about 120 k miles because it was starting to get noisy, but did not leak.

Has the coolant been changed at the specified intervals? A neglected cooling system will most likely shorten the life of the water pump and cause other damage.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

On my original pump on a 97SL2 with 86,000 miles. I've not had as good of luck with alternators and batteries though.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, my coolant changing has been OK. At one point, I had the coolant changed because I had mistakenly added the green stuff to my Dex-Cool.

Reply to
Jay Bollyn

Thanks for the suggestion, and your many contributions to this ng. I replaced my battery (pre-emptively) at 61K, fall 2001. I did not want to trust the OEM battery to get me through the winter. My alternator is original OEM.

My neighbor's 96 Saturn only has 46K. Her battery recently died; had it replaced at Wal-Mart (she did not check with me first). The alternator died very shortly afterward.

Wal-Mart is OK for *some* things, but I absolutely would never go there for car repair.

Reply to
Jay Bollyn

I have basically the same vehicle (1998 SW2) and am still on my original water pump. (and clutch, alternator, battery...)

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

At 49k, on a 98SL2, I have only had the Coolant Sensor replaced, everything else in the engine has been fine ... even the battery ... and I DO suggest Wal-mart for batteries ... they have the best prices and you might as well get their best battery ... because they put in in for free and still its 20 dollars less than other places ...

Reply to
ProfWdesk1
270,000 on my 96 SL2 with the ORIGINAL WATER PUMP, I have changed the thermostat and coolant 2 times.
Reply to
mackshightech