Servise Engine Soon - After rain

On my 96 SL the "Service Engine Soon" comes on after a heavy rain. After the car runs awhile (I guess until the wet area dries) the car will restart with no trouble light. The leak is most likely a clogged drain allowing water to drip down the fire wall or other spot. Has anyone found and solved this problem.... Thanks

Reply to
AnthonyS

Was this a start after sitting in heavy rain or driving in heavy rain?

Any idea what the service code is? I'd first consider a misfire due to the wet ignition wires. Check the coil, distributor cap and rotor and all the spark plug wires. Pull off the distributor cap and check for any moisture inside. Should be dry as a bone.

You can also check the vacuum hoses for any signs of moisture in them. With the exception of the pvc valve (which sometimes has a bit of condensation) all the hoses should be dry on the inside. This on the odd chance that a vacuum leak is sucking in water somewhere and causing a misfire.

Reply to
Oppie

"Oppie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The condition occurs are sitting parked and starting after a heavy rain.

Reply to
AnthonyS

You'll love this, I had a 96SL2, if it sat for a couple days, and it rained heavy right before I started it, the car would start rough, come to idle, and then the SES light would come on. While driving to work, it would turn off.

I replaced the plugs and wires. Ofcourse cleaned off the ignition posts, and the problem seem to go away.

Now I figured it was a bad connection, or wire, so I hope a simple fix like mine works for you, since each car is unique at times. later,

tom @

The Real Tom

if it sat for a couple days, and it rained heavy right before I started it, the car would start rough, come to idle, and then the SES light would come on

I had the exact same problem you described on my '99 SC2. Figured out it was a pinhole in one on the wires when I went to wiggle the connections at the distributor after it rained and felt a strong tingle run up arm; replaced the plug wires and all is well.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

This vehicle does not have a distributor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve wrote:

Reply to
parts

Fine!!! I wiggled the connections at the DOOHICKEY!!!!!! :-P

Reply to
Steve

Oh my! Good think it wasn't a good tingle accross your chest. Good find!

later,

tom

The Real Tom

There must be some mistakes about the saturn car here. 1 - saturn s-series dont use distributor - only use ignition coil 1 coil for 2 cylinders. 2 - the problem is possible coincident with the rain. 3 - the car requires basic maintenance

Reply to
DigitoNut