Scenic loss of engine speed after rain...

I own a Renault scenic we experienced an inability to go at more than about 5mph. The engine switches on and runs but when the accelerator is depressed the the revs rise and then fall back at about 1200 rpm. The car is a 1.9DTI when going uphill the problem can clear and the car goes fine.Or after some 50 miles the problem clears altogether . We have had the accelerator potentiometer replaced and the computor. The problem still persists. If the car is working well and there is a torrential downpour when the car is standing outside the following day the problem reappears. Any ideas?

Reply to
thomas

it's going into limited operation mode we had the same problem on a few of our vans with the fly by wire throttle where any sort of glitch would just stop the motor working get it on a computer to see whats going wrong wit it when it's not working properly as soon as it happens

Reply to
dojj

50 miles @ 5mph.... I take it you weren't in a hurry then. ;) D
Reply to
David Hearn

Maybe just talking rubbish, because I don't know the layout of the engine bay.

Friend had exactly the same problem on a diesel golf, on investigation, nothing appeared to be wrong, untill I lifted the air filter out. under the filter was a crack in the housing, when it rained the filter got wet with water thrown up under the wheel arch, and soaking the old filter, reducing air flow.

As I say may not apply to your's but worth a look.

Regards

Nigel

Reply to
Bear