Bob

From: "ladykd" Subject: starting problems Date: Saturday, June 25, 2005 6:56 PM

I have a 95 SL2 and my car will not start at all. When I turn the key I hear a brief clicking sound. I have no idea what to do because the car was running perfectly fine 30 minutes prior to me trying to start it again. How will I know the difference between it being the starter, battery, or the alternator?

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Just to add to the advice below....I recently had a dead battery and it wouldn't start after jumping the battery to another good battery..while discussing for several minutes what to do next, I tried one more time and it did start. Moral of the story...let it sit hooked up to a good battery for several minutes before deciding it isn't the battery(5 minutes wasn't enough, 15 was). Also, I had a battery with one of those indicators (green eye) and it falsely indicated that the battery was good. Apparently, a battery has multiple cells, so the green eye really isn't a good indication...

Good luck.

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
J Swain

Regarding the green eye on the battery, the only thing the green eye indicates is that the battery is charged enough to be properly load tested. A dark eye indicates it needs charging to be tested properly, and the light eye indicates a battery that is failed and can't be tested. You still need to load test the battery with a green eye to determine the actual condition.

Reply to
two.dogs