Dana 44 TT gear lubricant.

Need recommendations for twin- traction model 44 rear axle lubricant or additives? I've got the cover off and shafts pulled. Going to get kerosene to clean it up. Thanks again. jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim8

randee

I use Redline 75 W 90 synthetic; which has the additive for the limited slip. The limited slip action is noticeably smoother. It's quiet. I changed all the seals, and have no leaks, with the synthetic. There's another good choice that handles shock loads better, for drag racing. See the Redline site. I think they even offer tech advice. It may be hard to get all the kerosene out. I wiped all the junk out of mine, that I could; and filled it with less expensive lube. I ran it with that for a while; and changed to the Redline. You might consider a new cover. I think Sasco still has them. The threads for the fill plug are often worn; so the plug goes in too far and barely contacts the bolt heads on the limited slip - goes "tick, tick, tick". It's easier to make a new one look pretty, too. When you pull the axles, the thrust pieces often fall out inside. It's not a big deal. You can probably fish them out of the axle tubes; and poke them back in place. I used a magnet, a piece of brake line, string, and beer. Mike M.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Mike

Or you may want a nice new shiny one like this.

Jerry Forrester

oldcarfart

jimmijim8

I have been using Valvoline semi synthetic along with a bottle of GM limited slip additive for YEARS on all clutch type Posi units. The additive is still the best you can find, IMHO. Still need to change the stuff every few years; especially if you drive your car hard or you feel the clutches start to "chatter" going around corners (providing the unit isn't just plain WTFO). Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George