Google Desktop (ot)

of interesting...Scans your PC so you can Google search your own computer... Then they have all sorts of sidebar options (Gadgets) , like local weather, NASA TV, news and stocks..

Didn't slow my machine up (that I could see).. Some Gadgets are kind of neat... Found some stuff that was lost in my PC... Ran my spysearch program and quarantined a bunch of stuff that wasn't there before I loaded this up... (That alone is probably the biggest reason not to put it in..)

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Jeff what do you use to clean your spy crap out ?? Is Google save to use?? I get new windows opening up on me now when in the middle of reading in another that I never clicked on telling me I have spyware and need to run a free scan...Something has got in my door here and I don't know how to set up a way to stop it...Norton will not update right as well now??

Lansing

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

I have a spyware program supplied to me by my cable modem company... Funny thing is, if I run the spysweep program, it finds a file that, if I kill it, will kill my ISP. Hmmmmm.. Who's spying on whom? ... But... I can quarantine a spyworm and it won't be allowed to execute. I run it weekly, and it'll catch a couple. I absolutely quit using Norton a few years ago. They toss so many hidden files on your computer, you'd be amazed. You find out how bad their intrusive program is if you try to unload the program, and it won't go on auto mode. I actually think they write the viruses that they then come out and inoculate you for.

Dunno about Google being safe to use. But...According to Rick Courtier: "If the program is 'free', then they can spy on you. If you pay for the program, they have to ask you if they can spy on you". Pretty good to know. Jeff

"C> Jeff what do you use to clean your spy crap out ?? Is Google save to

Reply to
Jeff Rice

The "spyware" is probably the program that is giving you the pop-up window! Here are some free programs that I use:

(click on Ad-Aware Personal under Products on the left)

Reply to
WayneC

Not quite what I say but close. . . What I said was if it is a "Free" Freeware programs then the reason it is free its because they are using pup and spy program together info from you and don't have to let you know that you are being spy on. The exchange of info is for trade of the free program. So free is really never free and they can sell or give away any and all info gather. However if you paid for a program then at some point or another while either loading the program or in the instructions (fine print on the agreement) but some where by loading and using this program you allow us to gather info which we can't sell to others but can use for our own information. If they ever are found out that they are either selling or gathering real personal info like credit card or bank info then they are in vailation and are subject to the full power of the US law enforcement.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Rice"

Reply to
Rick Courtier

The Pied Piper of Hamlintown had a brother in law with a rat farm. Control demand, then suppoy.

I used to trust google. I got over it. I use 'em i just don't trust 'em

I use the Yahoo deaktop search, it works great My company is using Yaho as a business server, so they have a fiduciary responsibility to not sell our data.

Mark ( Yes, they are all out to get me) Dunning

Re: Google Desktop (ot) by "Jeff Rice" Jun 23, 2006 at 11:19 AM

[...]

markshere2

I work for an educational institution. They have banned Google DESKTOP from use and also have put restrictions in place to prevent it from being reinstalled. google DESKTOP sends back too much personal data and info about what is going on with the computer to suit our security group.

Reply to
HarryB

well, there is a linux program, that if you got a SPARE computer laying about, you hook your computer to the linux one, then that one to the internet.. it IS a fire wall..thats what the software is- a free standing firewall. you have to give it permission for everything that is attempted thru yours.. anything new pops up, it lets you know..

BTW, this linux computer cannot be used for anything else as the program takes the entire drive totally.. luckily you can do this with an older machine and smaller drive.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me