is it standard practise to give desired color info before one can geta price quote?

Is it standard practise to give desired color info before one can get a price quote? One dealer, the closet location, gave me the bs that there is only one for white legacy GT in this whole state. I replied, "I'll wait", meaning I'll wait till there is more.

BTW, the quote I got so far (w/o levaing home) from one local dealer (via email) is better than carsdirect or edmunds. I mean that quote even with some additional features is less than no additonal except splash gurad ($97 value) from carsdirect and edmunds. For example,

- $24,500 for legacy 2.5 GT (4DR Sedan)with Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass

  • Security Upgrade + Spoiler [Brilliant Silver Metallic]. (I want splash guard and so I have to get it.)

- $20,500 for 2.5i with Auto Dimming Mirror/Compass/Homelink + + Spoiler [same color]

Reply to
amanda992004

Does his quote include destination and other state charges?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Werner

I don't think so. I'll call him now.

Reply to
amanda992004

I was told that there is $45 documentation fee + $8.75 tire fees (for all 5 tires) and the usual tax and License fee. So 45+9 will still keept he quote lower than Crasdirect quote that includes, for 2.5i, under Regionals, I see a fee of $211 for "Super-Ultra Low/Partial Zero Emissions (California, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Northern NJ, NY, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont.)"

I don't see that Super-Ultra Low/Partial Zero Emissions fee for 2.5GT but still the quote for GT w/o additonal stuff is higher than local quote.

For 2.5GT w/o additonal, I tried carsdirect, using the zip codes of 3 universities (different states: one is in metropolitan, the other VERY closed to that Metropitan like 35 mins away, last one in college town in midwest). All higher than my quote from carsdirect, so higher than my local quote.

For 2.5i, w/o additonal, doing the same compariosn gives lower quote than my quote from carsdirect. It may be because of that "Super-Ultra Low/Partial Zero Emissions" for my state.

The lady from carsdirect warns in her email that, with dealers, once I sit down to sign papers, prices goes up. If that happend, I'll get up and leave.

So far, out of 4 local dealers, 2 give the same quote for the same item w/o the splash guard that I want (one white, the other silver) ; the other 2 are obviously for more games than the first two. May be the latter 2 knew about my not taking a loan.

Reply to
amanda992004

I got my quote from a local Subaru dealer for a specific car on their lot. I went there and picked it up for the price quoted in the email. I knew before hand what color I would take and only asked for quotes on the cars that were in stock that were acceptable to me. To get the low price though I had to not use the low finance option from Subaru but they got me a great rate on my loan. All of this was spelled out in their email. Was one of the easiest & quickest purchases I have ever done.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

If you want, tell 'em you're perfectly able to take care of the documents yourself and you won't pay the fee. I've done that and gotten it waived 2 times. Took maybe 30-60 seconds each time. Those are pretty good wages! $45 in 1 minute! Worst thing that happens is they say no. When they say "I'll have to speak to the manager" I say fine and then I stand near the exit with my keys in my hand - like I'm leaving if they come back with a 'No' answer. Be nice, but be tough. They will sell more cars in 1-2 months that you'll buy in a lifetime and there are other dealers.

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well..my local dealers know that I want white. I am not sure whether all of them know that I want ONLY white for the look + another reason: White is great for summer heat. 3 out of 4 have white. The one that doesn't wants $200 to get the white for me.

I am going to need to change my mind about white, I guess, so that I can bragin better. I need to get the quote from consumer report today and make them an offer.

Reply to
amanda992004

I just got an e-mail quote for an 2005 OBW 2.5i from a local dealer here in the Philly area: $22,500. It had a few options, but not many (can't remember offhand). That included the $2000 incentive that (supposedly) expired June 30. Usually you can either get the incentive or low financing, but not both.

Does anyone know what the incentives are for July?

Often dealers will ask about colors, because they can deal better with cars actually on their lot. If you want a color/option combo that they don't have they may have to get it from another dealer. In this instance I'm not sure which dealer gets their "holdback" $$ back (3%).

Reply to
BrianW

I hav research about legacy only and so may i ask what is OBW?

There will be similar incentive in July, I am sure.

That will be good info.

Yes they do.

One asks for additonal $200 for having to get it from another dealer.

Reply to
amanda992004

Thanks for the info on doc fees. I am sure I can handle that doc process.

BTW, I am sure they will tell me about extended warranty when I buy. I want to make sure that I am understanding correctly right that extended warranty (from dealers - this or other dealer) can be bought later. I really don't have time to do research on extended warranty right now unless I must.

Reply to
amanda992004

Go with the subaru gold. They even covered a leaking front strut. Accepted at any dealer. Dont forget to negotiate on price

Reply to
jabario

You might want to consider Gap Insurance at the time of purchase, usually between $200 to $300 one time cost.

Chris Werner

Reply to
Chris Werner

What's involved in that Doc process?

The following question is for anyone wh used CR report:

BTW, I printed a sample report from Cosumer Report website and tried to understand the explanation before I buy any.

I understand the explanation up to the point of Consumer Wholesale price (which is Dealer Invoice price - Dealer holdback) which should be used as the Starting Point to negotiate. But I need clearification on the following.

- Regional incentive for different state: I guess that is to be used in negotiation process.

- Standadard Equipement: the ones recommended were Remote keyless Entry and Drivers side mirror, heated.

- Options (with a check mark on recommended equipment): So if there is a PRICE ,say for example, for 'Brakes, Power Disc/Drum)"' other than the word "NA" or "*" (* means "applies to this vehicle") or "Standard" for a particuler model, I am supposed to add those PRICE digits , if the car happened to be equipped with it, in my calculation of the cost of the car, right?

In the article (on CR site) "How to find latest rebates", there's as section titled 'Don't pay extras you don't need'. The section refers to rust proffing, etc. but what about things like Spoiler, Auto Dimming Mirro with Compass and Homelink already on the car? One dealer said, since they are there, the buyer have to pay for those. IS THAT TRUE? I hate all those additonal features I just mentioned.

Too bad that carsdirect's price w/o those additonal stuff is higher than local quotes.

Reply to
amanda992004

God Damn "I need a man da"....you are a loser.....TURN YOUR SPELL-CHECKER ON YOU DUMB BITCH

YOU ARE ALREADY CONCERNED WITH MAKING A CLAIM?

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Now I see why she has little time, shes on "Talkback" all night long! Look at the topics,look at the time of the posts. She has been chewed out there for tons of typos. Here is the good part...HEY AMANDA!!!!! IS THE INS STILL LOOKING FOR YOU? IS YOUR "STATUS" HERE NOW "ILLEGAL"??? ARE YOU STILL USING FAKE ADDRESS FOR THEM? YOUR SISTER IS GOING TO BUY THE CAR FOR YOU AND INSURE IT, BECAUSE YOU ARE RUNNING FROM THE INS? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 2000 NISSAN SENTRA YOU WERE DRIVING? DOES YOUR FRATERNAL TWIN THINK YOUR AN ASSHOLE TOO??? Time to shut the hell up Amanda.

Really, this loser is an illegal alien, faces deportation and has a big mouth. She is a professional "student" doesnt work and is a leech on society. Might be time to turn this all over to the INS, your ISP and Yahoo will roll over(snitch,give up,inform) on you in a heartbeat.

Check it out guys, just google "amanda992004" and see what she has been up to....

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

They're trying to charge you directly for what should be a no-charge dealer service; filing the registration and taxes with the state and ordering your plates. If you boldly challenge them that you can easily take that stuff to the sub-courthouse/wherever and do it for less that $45 they will likely waive the charge and do it anyway like they should.

That's a coupla tanks of gas. I have to work a long time to have after tax money for 2 tanks of gas. As I said, they waive it more often than not.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Good one, Rasty.

She also has some rather derogatory views on blacks, in America. Apparently she's not one of the "kinder, gentler" muslims.

Reply to
CompUser

I am not surprised that they used the term "Documentation" for this simple filing of registration and taxes with the state.

I will challenge. Why should they get $45/min pay rate. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reply to
amanda992004

Hey stoopid Ratis. Is your life so boring that you have to spy on me to get some spice into your life? Spy away if you must.

What time I stay up and what time I sleep is none of your business.

So? Typos are not important to me especially when I am in a hurry ...

Time to get a life, ratis. Check yourself into mental hospital.

Gee..unbelievable!

Reply to
amanda992004

Man ... I am so sad for you people...

Describe what exactly that deragatory view of mine is.

Why are you gettigng dumb and dumber? Must have read that fundi Indian guy's post (the one pretending to be a former Muslims; I forgot his username).

I do not practise any religion but unlike you I am well informed of most major religions and their history. One remedy to try in order to not get dumber would be to dissocate yourself from Dogter Ratis. It's not too late. You don't have to go down that path. Life can be better.

.
Reply to
amanda992004