Has anybody ever heard of Ceramic Brake shoes

I have been having trouble with my brakes sticking after setting for a few days and they don't stop all that good on my 48 Champion. I heard tonight about Ceramic brake shoes. They are suppose to stop better and not stick. This is a new one on me. Of course I'm old and don't get around much any more.

Reply to
studeluver

I'm not sure about the shoes, but I have heard of ceramic brake pads. They eliminate the brake dust on you wheels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 457 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Reply to
63Avanti

Can you provide us the name of the supplier/distributor? I know about ceramic Brake "pads", but never heard about shoes. For the past

19 years I have found that riveted shoes, whch are hard to find, stop better than bonded. Maybe it is due to the way there are spaces/holes in the riveted shoes that lets heat disipate or the fact that bonded have a special composite and don't give off heat.

Aside from all the plus's of riveted brakes, there is a huge negative. Once you wear down a shoe and expose the top of a rivet, they can score the drum surface.

Let us know about the source of ceramic shoes

Reply to
Bill Glass

My 2000 Chevy Silverado came factory equipped with ceramic disc pads on its

4 wheel disc brake system. They are quieter and produce virtually no dust. As far as durability, I am coming up on 140,000 miles on the original pads.Last time I looked, at about 125,000 miles, I estimate the front pads had about 30% wear left. Unbeatable.

Dave

Reply to
The Other Dave

This may be totally bogus, but here is what I know.

I have been buy> Can you provide us the name of the supplier/distributor?

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
63Avanti

It is possible that ceramic disc pads are available for the Avanti as those pucks were also used on Jaguars for many years, altho I would be somewhat surprised if they are available as it cannot be that popular an application. I don't recall any application of ceramic shoes other than a heavy duty option on Corvettes, before they adopted disc brakes. The Avanti shoe application is a one-off, I'd be very surprised if they would ever be available.

-- wf.

63Avanti wrote:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
randee

Interesting, a friend of mine has the identical Navigator as I do. However, his son is a Lincoln\Mercury Dealer, when Hal complained to his kid that the wheels were getting dirty, he told his father to have them install "cermaic" pads.

I asked my dealer, and he had no idea about ceramic pads.

Who cares, truck goes bye-bye in the next 90 days.

Reply to
Bill Glass