lark convertible and ripoff city

Hello: Took my lark convertible to the shop thanks to the incident with Bubba transport and the sway bar. Also told them to check the exhaust for a rattle. Turned out one tail pipe was rusted out, and both pipes were set up so they rested on a crossmember and caused a rattle.

The guy said he would have to change the bend of the new tail pipes,and the price would be a couple hundred to replace the new pipes! Now I've used this shop a few times before,and they were pretty faiir on prices. Not the same guys who had my 42 for three months for brakes.

I voiced a protest, and they claimed the price of pipes went way up-he could do it for $150, I said go ahead since the sway bar project wasn't a big deal. When I got home I called a couple of muffler shops and got rough sight unseen estimate of $100, and $90. The lark has a slight oil pan gasket leak on top. The guy said it looked like a lot of work-looked to me like a couple of suspension parts run under the pan-how tough is it to change the pan gasket on a v-8 lark?

Regards,Sheldon

Reply to
shel_elias

are you sure it's the pan that is leaking? You do have to remove the bellcrank I believe but it's not a HUGE deal... also you need to remove the starter... but it could also be the front seal and/or the timing cover at the bottom where it meets the filler block.

If it is the pan you might want to just make sure all bolts are torqued to spec.

As for the tailpipes, why not just get stainless ones from Don Simmons and never worry about them again?

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel