Roller paint your Studebaker

Found it mentioned on the SDC forum, chased down the source:

Here's the thread on roller painting

John Poulos

A buddy of mine (now deceased) won a $100.00 bet by painting a car with a brush (lacquer) and wet sanding it (numerous coats and lots of sanding) to a showcar gloss (think piano finish). My father in law (he too deceased) painted his daily driver '49 DeSoto with rustoleum and a brush, still looked like shit @ 50' , the roller foam cover they mention in the thread can be bought at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. looks like an industrial strength tampon. (for squawsnatch?)

Reply to
oldcarfart

Thanks for the correct link. The link attempt to Mopar.com jammed spyware on my 'puter (grrrr) Jeff

"John Poulos" wrote...

--

Reply to
Jeff Rice

So Calvin... What you are really saying is it is deadly to paint your car with a roller?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

If you read the guys posts responding to questions he later says that he is in Canada and there the paint is called tremclad but in the US it is called rustoleum. So he is buying rustoleum in the non spray can form. Rustoleum looks nice and shiny when it first goes on but tends to dull A LOT after the sun works on it. If that orange charger was in Florida for a summer it would be a very dull orange by fall.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

A friend painted his car with a chocolate brown, Australian product, Killrust which I believe is the same stuff, and after he took the car to the outback we named his car "The Incredible Hulk" because the paint turned green. Although that was 25 years ago and hopefully paint technology has taken care of that.

As I live in So Cal I will have to look into the paint vs. sun issue. I would like to try the method but don't want to have all the work destroyed by the sun.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

I have used Rustoleum black paint for some of the Lark mechanical parts. Some I have used are industrial and some consumer type from Home Depot or Lowes but nothing exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time. The chemical components, in particular the thinning agents, appear to be different between the two. What that guy was talking about could also be different and being in California we can't get/do things the same as all other states in regard to SCAQMD guidelines. Canadian laws might be different and the temperature might also dictate what the company uses as the bulk of it's thinning and other agents in the product. Paint composition might also be a compromise depending if it's industrial or for the consumer. The two I have used have different drying times, the industrial dries far quicker. I have not as yet been able to determine any finish differences between the two although being able to handle, recoat, and fit up the industrial coated part is easier.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Reply to
R W Hughes

You need to get the industrial version with accelerator.

6&SBL=2&ddisI don't think that an equivalent of the Canadian stuff is available here due to political, er, EPA restrictions... JT

(All is well as big brother is watching me closely..)

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Not much color choice in that, though, just light blue, black, white, red, and gray.

Reply to
WayneC

Check this out.

> You need to get the industrial version with accelerator.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Yeah, The roll on primer is ok for small stuff that only needs a quick coat before scuffing and painting. It has not taken off as they expected! We do not use it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

&SBL=1 This is what the guy that posted the technique says is the US equivalent.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I did some more reading and this is what I found. This was copied from a post on that forum.

Robert-

Tremclad is an umbrella name the same way we used to use Labor Saver for some of our industrial products. The Industrial Enamels, Aerosols, Epoxies and Polyurethanes would be rough equivalents to the corresponding Tremclad products, although there is not always a direct color or exact product crossover.

-Rick

Consumer/Technical Service Team Rust-Oleum Corporation 11 Hawthorn Parkway Vernon Hills, IL 60061 Ph (877) 385.8155 Fax (847) 816.2330 MSDS:

VirtualSolutions

This is my answer from rustoleum. I had asked what is the U.S. equivalent to the Canadian product Tremclad (end of post)

So, I guess you are right JT in saying that the same product is the industrial not the consumer product.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

This is the only industrial product that can be thinned with mineral spirit. It is also available to me in So Cal because of the low VOC count. Not many colors to choose from but I will see if I can get some tinted to an original Studebaker color.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Rollered my daily driver 75 Buick LeSabre with sand beige. Had the car for twelve years. After the first winter the paint looked factory fresh without a high shine. Similar to the way cars looked in the sixties after 3-4 years in the elements in NYC. For a daily driver, not show car it was very worthwhile. Had the 57 Champion done with an $800 Maaco job. Doesn't look that bad. Got as close to Studebaker Woodsmoke Gray that I could. Flathead.

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

Wiz, Tremclad and Rustoleum are competing products, in my understanding. Both are available here in Canada, often in the same store.

As to them dulling in sunshine, I can't say. Never used them for large surfaces with long-term sun exposure.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I have to confess to painting about half of a (black) Rabbit GTI with spray cans of engine enamel years ago. I had the car for several years post-spraycanning and it still looked pretty good. In fact when I pointed out to the guy that I sold it to the surgery I'd done on the rear quarter he seemed fairly impressed. (apparently the car had been sideswiped early in its life; I replaced the front fender and door on that side due to rust and also had to replace the fender lip section of the quarter because it rusted away underneath the plastic flare. The other side of the car was pretty much rust free!)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Gord, you may remember, Rod, who I used to work with at the Esso in Midnapore. It was with Tremclad he painted his '74 Toyota Corolla with, but not from a rattlecan that would have no doubt had some additional solvents and other propellents to keep the nozzle free from clogging. I went with him to pick up the paint at Hometown Lumber (before it became Beaver Lumber), and he looked at the color chart and said "There's what color I'm painting my car...#100 Chinese Red Enamel" so we grabbed two quarts of the stuff plus Tremclad primer and immediately went to work and sanded the car. It was that evening he spray painted the car in the shop at that same Esso, and the Tremclad from a can did apply rather nicely on the car with little orange peel or runs in the finish. As far as standing up to the elements, after a year, the red color itself stood up real well. It lost its sheen a little, but it certainly didn't fade to chalky orange like a lot of other paints would have in a year's time. Not that I recommend it on a car, but for machinery, truck decks, etc. that have to stand out in the elements and are subject to hard use, it would work well and is a rather cheap way to give it a 'like new' look every few years.

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8