Roller paint your Studebaker

Yeah, the multi color Rustoleum line appears to be that short lived "soft" finish not well suited to vehicle use.

Maybe we can start an underground import business for the Canadian stuff...

JT

Wizard of Oz wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh... Looks like Jeff R is covered with the "Safety Yellow" selection...

JT

Wizard of Oz wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

OOooohhh yellooowww....

"Grumpy AuContraire" > Heh... Looks like Jeff R is covered with the "Safety Yellow" selection...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Neighbor paints with Rustoleum thinned w/ Acetone. So far 2 cars and a trailer. They look OK - some orange peel, but not a lot. Just a litle shine. Great for Winter beaters in PA.

They look better than my brush strokes w/ non-thinned Rustoleum.

It's a bitch to try and work with toxic spray crap in cold weather when you only have a few minutes each day to try and keep a runner from rustiing away...

The Paint is ugly, but so Am I...

MD

Reply to
markshere2

Any clear coat that works with Rustoleum?

Jeff DeWitt

markshere2 wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

There are many products available from Rustoleum but only one product appears to be the one that the guy from Canada was using. It is an industrial coating that can be thinned with mineral spirit. Only one of the industrial coatings fits this criteria and that is the 2500 System - 250 VOC Alkyd Enamel.

Others I have read about other coating from Rustoleum that don't produce the same results as that guy was talking about.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I wonder what it would do if you clear-coated it with clear UV protectant clear-coat?

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Mark.

Do you know the ratio that your neighbor used? Acetone usually will evaporate when it hits the air. Did he use it for easy roll-on and for easier drying? Thanks, Flathead.

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

You guys may think me crazy; but, I happen to like orange peel! Flathead

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

I like your style ... Jeff

< Flathead George wrote:
Reply to
Jeff Rice

IIRC, orange peel was a standard feature of cars in the fifties and sixties... Am I on track here?

JT

(Who's PowerHawk's original paint had orange peel)

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Does this mean that with such a cheap paint job the cars would then be correct for show and not over-restored.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Guys,

If I remember correctly: Orange peel didn't "fade" away until the very late 60's early 70's. A neighbor painted his 62 Lark with rustoleum and a power sprayer. The paint went on completely on covered everything. The only problem was a heavy coat of orange peel which later was lightly buffed out and then waxed. The car looked very, very good. My

81 Imperial trunk lid is shot and I am thinking of trying this all over again. Tweaked of course, with the comments posted here. Flathead(cheap)Geo.
Reply to
FlatheadGeo

I remember back in the 50's, some folks used tractor paint and a powder puff to apply it. It looked pretty good.

Reply to
L.D.