2005 WRX cruise control

Is it possible to tune the cruise control to make it more responsive? Can an owner do it, or an independent garage? How about a dealer? And if so, will a dealer do it?

My cruise control is lucky to be able to hold speed in a 5 mph range going up and down moderate hills. My nasty old Ford Contour's cruise control did much better, so I know it can be done. Both were 5 speed manual transmissions over the same roads.

Reply to
bwyg

bwyg writes: (snip)

(snip)

Wow. FWIW my 2004 STi's cruise holds it pretty much rock-steady, so maybe you should indeed expect better from yours.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

That doesn't sound right. My 03 OBS 5spd can do much better than that. Perhaps you cruise at a relatively low RPM where your engine doesn't have much available torque/power?

Reply to
Chicobiker

This has been discussed here before. My Ford products would go to full throttle to maintain the exact speed at the cost of less fuel mileage. Every time I went up a hill, it would downshift. My 2005 Forester XS speed varies somewhere between 3~5 m.p.h. or 1~2 m.p.h. above or below the set speed. To change this operation would require reprogramming the ECU. The last person who complained here was told by his dealer this was normal operation for a Subaru.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom