opinions on Impreza 2.0R non-turbo

Hi, They just started to sell Impreza 2.0R AWD in Turkey for a competitive price and I am thinking about getting one. I am thinking about non turbo model (2 liter, 160 hp) with automatic transmission. Got couple of questions. 1-Subaru is not well known in Turkey as much as Toyota or Honda and the nearest service (dealer) is 150 miles away. Is this car as reliable as Toyotas or Hondas? I do not want to make a 300 miles round trip for frequent problems to the service station.

2- Is this car good in snow or ice? Being an AWD it is supposed to be good but does not hurt to ask. 3- I have not gone to the dealer to see and drive one. Is this car comfortable to drive for a 6 feet tall (1.82 cm) person during long trips? What about the trunk space? Is it adequate for a family (2 adults 2 small kids)? This one gonna be main family car replacing our Focus wagon. 4- Also, I gather from Subaru's web page that its fuel economy is slightly worse than my Focus 1.6 liter which is acceptable for me. What is the real world fuel economy of this car? I am a light-footed man and don't drive aggressively.

To sum it up, we want a reliable family sedan and we don't want to deal with a car that is a money pit. I do not know much about Subaru's boxer motor and AWD and these are what may prevent me from buying one. However, 2 liter engine and AWD are very tempting for a good price..

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Ahmet

Turkey

Reply to
bumblebee

I don't know how they stack up against Toyota or Honda as I think all three are pretty reliable. You should find your Subaru pretty reliable if you adhere to the service schedule.

Yes, the AWD is pretty good. Just make sure you have decent tires too, if snow and ice is a big issue.

I would guess it'd be comfortable, yes, but you should certainly test that. The seats in particular are pretty nice, I think. Trunk space, it depends - should be fine for normal trips but if you're getting the sedan instead of the wagon, and you're putting in your trunk emergency equipment, regular luggage, and hordes of large gifts for the family you're visiting or whatever, then space might start getting tight. It's a fair-sized trunk that'll normally do for a family of four, but if it's anything like our family of four who sometimes lug around far too much stuff then for some trips space might sometimes be tight.

Ah, that I haven't tested too carefully, and I have a manual transmission turbo model so it'd be like apples and oranges. But, if you're light-footed, I'd probably believe the fuel economy figures: I drive mine quite aggressively and it doesn't do horrifyingly badly.

The boxer motor and AWD are good. The Impreza's a solid car. Go look at the trunk and see if you think it'll be big enough - probably it should be, but your family might be as daft as ours, so if you routinely carry around as much crap as I do (shovel, fire extinguisher, battery charger, blanket, boots, spare oil, etc., etc.) as well the family's stuff then consider the wagon if not - although my sedan's trunk will fit family vacation stuff like large foldable shade canopies so you're probably okay. (You could probably look up the cubic feet online for your current car and the Impreza sedan to see the difference in storage space.)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

and I am thinking about

automatic transmission.

Toyota or Honda and the

or Hondas? I do not

does not hurt to ask.

to drive for a 6 feet

adequate for a family (2

worse than my Focus 1.6

car? I am a

car that is a money

may prevent me from

I am a newcomer to subarus but am a 'fan' now('03 OBW and '06 WRX). However, I think you should be wary. Even if, during its first 8 years/100,000 miles of life it is as reliable as a Honda - at some point it will need service. And if Subaru is new to your country, there likely will not be a lot of independent mechanics familiar with them. The AWD is world class. The MT has a better reputation than the automatic - but it is fine as well if tires and service are meticulously mainataned. When you visit the dealership, take a look at the mainatnece schedule too. If you or a local mechanic cannot perform it, you will be driving back to the dealership. Personally, I would probably stick with Honda unless I had a very frequent need for the AWD. As for storage, a roof rack could be used under extreme circumstances on any car.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm well pleased with my manual transmission Impreza Wagon. It is very comfortable... but I'm not as tall as you, nor is my husband. The seats wrap around you, they are great. It drives well in the snow. I have fitted mud and snow tyres this year and it got us out of difficulties this winter. It can do 300 on a full tank of unleaded. Oh and it pulls our heavy caravan easily with all our camping stuff in the back of the car. Hope this helps. Annie

Reply to
GrannieAnnie

I have the 2.0litre Impreszza GX Auto 2005 model(non turbo) which is probably the same as you are offered (the 2006 just has a bit fancier body). I can carry three teenagers (small) and their junk plus my wife in our hatchback without problems. I get 10 km a litre on a long country trip.

No snow here in this part of Australia so I can't comment on the snow handling but in the wet it is good.

Neville Brisbane Australia

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

Hello, Thank you all..I think we will go check out the car next Saturday. I hope we like it too.. We may even look at the wagon version if the sedan's trunk does not seem large enough. Thanks again.

Ahmet

Reply to
bumblebee