Ouch -- Feel like I just got mugged!

I got new front and rear brake pads and new rotors put on the Forester...

I got the work done at a local mechanic (not the dealer) -- the mechanic has a good reputation for good work (but is not the cheapest place).

But WOW...the bill was large -- the price of parts alone was almost

2/3rds of the total bill.

Just for future reference -- anybody got any suggestions for decent parts (in the US)? For example -- anybody had any experience with NAPA parts for their Subaru?

Reply to
Bart

One time I had my local garage put front pads on my Outback. They squealed something fierce after a few months. I went back to Subaru parts on the next brake job and they've been silent for a long time. The dealer said the compound is different.

Reply to
BobN

NAPA ceramic pads are good in my opinion and they have 3 different rotors for my Legacy depending on what I want. You didn't mention your prices. Keep in mind that brake components are strictly regulated for safety sake and even the cheapest stuff NAPA has will be as safe as what was originally on your car. The original brakes can be greatly improved upon and sometimes without any extra $. TG

Reply to
TG

My experience as well. I decided to use NAPA pads in the rear and they've squeaked ever since. The genuine Subaru pads in front that I've changed twice have never made a sound.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hi,

But what WAS the bill? Large to one person's sometimes reasonable to another, and if the parts were 2/3 of the bill, sounds like the the mechanic's not ripping you on labor. Without numbers, it's speculation!

Personally, my dealer gets most of my parts business. I've had good luck with NAPA parts for American cars, and their oil filters have been fine on my Subie, but overall, I've found it has an appetite for OEM parts (as have my Toyotas and my g/f's Honda, so it's apparently not just a "Subie thing.") They just seem to work better and last longer than anything I've found aftermarket.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright