Sure and stall in 98’ Forrester

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help?

My ?98 Forrester will start fine then run for a short period of time, surge slightly, then drop rpm till it stalls. No amount of gas pedal adjustment will stop the stall once the rise/drop in rpm begins. The vehicle will start again without incident until the process repeats itself again. The occurence of the whole cycle is intermittent, but occuring with more frequency. The fuel filter and pump have been inspected and pronounced serviceable.

Can anyone point my in the right direction?

Thanks

Reply to
hawker

Sounds more like the EGR Valve with the temperature sensitivity and all.

CL

Reply to
dnoyeB

I had a glitch with a Ford Ranger that baffled a lot of expensive mechanics till we figured out that the catalytic converter was clogged. It would start and run ok enough to get about thirty five and a half feet down the road and then it would just die. I would let it sit for a few minutes and then it would start and do the same thing, repeatedly. Just another possibility. Good luck to you.

Reply to
Dan

When this happens, slowly open the gas cap. If you hear a SHHHHHH sound, this is air pressure equalizing a partial vacuum in the gas tank. Another test is running the car with the gas cap off: if the problem goes away this suggests an issue with the evaporative system.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS