Tech questions about the Subaru 4 & 6 cylinder engines

Readers & gurus of this group, I request your knowledge & assistance.

I request information pertaining to the Subaru 4 & 6 cylinder engines. I request information pertaining to factory rated torque & horsepower curves for all engines produced by Subaru, for automotive use, for the past 10 years.

I am seriously considering substituting a Subaru boxer engine in place of a 2.3 liter ACVW engine.

The Subie engine shall mainly be driven upon streets & highways with an occasional trek to the mountain & desert roads of Southern California.

It will be installed in a 1973 VW Thing (Type 181). The gross vehicle weight with four adults is estimated not to exceed 3200#.

What I seek is an engine that has a substantially wide torque powerband. An engine that is reliable (I hate to push or have to tow out from an off road trek).

Horsepower is relevant but, not a primary decisive factor. I would rather limit the upper RPM range to < 7500. This is one reason why I choose not to run a rotary engine.

Due to the deep displacement of the factory oil pan, is there a quality after-market oil sump/pan available, that is wider yet not as deep?

Is a dry sump oiling system available for the Subie engine?

I know that I have asked many question but, trust me, before I commit to this project (engine swap) I need to know all of my options.

Thank you in advance, Chris

Reply to
VW NOT V8

Google is your friend...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Here's a couple of good resources, although they mostly refer to Vanagon conversions:

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mason

Someone at our gliding club recently put a Subaru 1800cc engine into his early 70's Combi (which had already been through several VW engines) and is delighted with it. He uses it to tow gliders to camps/competitions. Having followed him on some pretty nasty and steep roads I can say that it doesn't tow as well as my 2.5L Legacy, but it still gets along very nicely.

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult