Vibration when accelerating

Threaded View

I don't think this one is unbalanced tires, but I've been wrong before.

Last week my 99 automatic forester started vibrating when I accelerate.
 The first time I felt it was getting on the highway at the bottom of a
large hill, trying the get up to speed the car was shaking a lot.  I
also feel it when I'm braking, but that might be due to some warped
rotors.  I started noticing it more and more after that.  Today shortly
after I left work the engine about cut out when I was coming to a stop.
 It felt like it feels when you forget to take your manual out of gear
while coming  to a stop.  I slipped it into neutral and it kept
running.  Just the 'normal' shaking the rest of the way home.

I had the tires rotated 2 weeks ago, before going on a 4000 mile trip.
No problems other than an annoying pull to the right.

Any ideas?  It safe to keep driving, or am i killing it?

 Charlie.

Re: Vibration when accelerating

Well, here is a quick list off the top of my head.  Can't say if you're
"killing" your car or not without a proper diagnosis of the problem.

You just had your wheels rotated?  Did the shop tighten the lug nuts to the
proper torque?  Too much may cause rotor damage or stripped threads.  You
might check for loose lug nuts.  Even competent people overlook things once
in a while.

Have you checked your CV boots, inner and outer on both sides of the front,
for possible splits and flung grease?

Bad wheel balance, dented rim, or maybe a rock or other foreign object in
the tread?  Rare, but sometimes a wheel balance weight can come off.

Checked tire pressures lately?  Might also check for tread separation.  Are
all tires the same make, model, and have rolling circumference within 1/4"?

Could be rotors, if they have gotten so bad as to be rubbing things when not
applying the brakes.

Front differential?  Maybe check your oil level there.

Worn / missing suspension bushings?

Bad struts?

~Brian

Re: Vibration when accelerating

I doubt anyone here can tell you if its SAFE or not, if it is in danger
of stalling - that is a safety issue to me. It definitely sounds like
you have 1 or 2 real problems though. Do you detect any 'jerky'
vibration maneuvering in parking lots? Is the check engine light on?
Do you have a dealership or mechanic you trust to check it out?

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: Vibration when accelerating

Random ideas to augment what's already been said:
        misfires, not yet numerous enough to trigger a check engine
        light

        worn motor mounts combined with the above would produce some
        noted movement.

        How do you feel the shaking?  Stuttering stumbling
        acceleration?  As though teh engine is vibrating excessively?
        In your hands from the wheel?

--
Todd H.
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4

I failed to mention the Engine Light has been on for a year, due to
exhaust sensor (P420).  I have the leak fixed, but it the light still
comes one.  I haven't read the codes since the new problem started.

The vibration seems to becoming from the engine on acceleration and
form the steering wheel while braking, unless the engine down shifts in
which case I feel both.

This is my first Subaru and I've already put 100k on it, total 140k.
How many miles do these things get before the engine or transmission go
out?  I'll check the plugs in the morning and take it the mechanic if I
can't find anything.

Thanks for the replys,
- Charlie.

Re: Vibration when accelerating

Um... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest perhaps reading the
codes.  Betcha got a sensor problem and or a misfire code awaiting
you.

Warped rotors are the most likely cause of the the braking pulsation.
Causes include numbnuts using torque wrenches without torque sticks at
tire and brake places, and/or machining rotors -- it just seems to
happen.

With all due respect, it sorta depends on--among other things--how
long the nut that holds the wheel ignores check engine lights.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4
Re: Vibration when accelerating

Doh--meant to say "impact wrenches"

Todd H.
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4
Re: Vibration when accelerating

Could be some engine misfire codes and also somecode related to a
sensor, MAF or maybe IACV or ?

And the brake rotor issue is a good one to look at for the vibration on
braking. I'd be tempted to get new rotors. Often, turning them will only
be a temporary benefit. More on that issue here;
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

let us know what you discover

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: Vibration when accelerating

Ok, so I checked the codes.  Just the expected P0420.  I cleared that
last week and nothing has come back since.  The engine trying to die
happen again last night.  Common cause was rapid braking due to an
unexpected red light.  Both times it was the same, I'm going about 50,
and rapidly slow down, the tach drops way too low (<400rpm) right
before I come to a complete stop, I slip it into neutral and the tach
jumps back up to idle speeds (500-600 rpm).

The vibrations are definitely not coming from the steering wheel, I
feel a lot coming from the gas peddle.  They are the worst when I'm
going up hill or trying to get up to speed on the interstate on-ramp
and see to be more pronounced right before the (automatic) transmission
shifts gears.  I'm thinking bad mounts and maybe even torque converter?
 I haven't had the time to take it to the mechanic (or money).

My big fear is that it's a transmission problem.  I had some other
trany related symptoms in the past, for the last couple years there has
been a slight but noticeable hesitation in shifting gears, especially
when cold.  Occasionally there is a slight jerk going from first to
second.  I'm thinking about just trading the car in while it still
runs.  I rechecked the milage and it's over 150K.

Re: Vibration when accelerating

Any chance it vibrates around 70 mph?  I've got both symptoms and still
looking for the cause.

Site Timeline