1980 ford hard no start

Cannot start unless I pour 1-2 oz of gas down the carb, then it idles and drives ok but will not restart after turning off. Choke fully opens from almost closed as engine is warmed up. This problem just started with no prior symptoms. I've tried starting with pedal floored, part way and not depressed at all. Gas squirts out both jets in the carb when I depress the accelerator. This is not a VV carb. Motorcraft 2150 I think.

begin 666 dot_clear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Martik

One guess is that you have a leaky fuel line under the car and fuel drains back every time you shut down. It could be in an area where the line runs up next to the frame and all the rust absorbs the gas fast. Still, I would expect to smell and see something evident. The gas is going somewhere because apparently it's not staying in the fuel bowl. It's not running into the engine so it must be going the other direction.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I would suspect a leak in the gas line on the suction side of the pump. They will not drip much but let air in when it sits essentially vapor locking it.

I would look where the rubber hoses join the steel line at the frame and where the clips hold it to the frame for a small gas stain.

Mike

Martik wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain