'90 LeBaron tranny problem

Can't remember how fast I was going (or even just back out of a parking space), but something fell onto the shifter and knocked it in neutral. Don't know if that was the cause of it not being able to shift beyond 2nd gear I think. Lately it seems if you idle for 10-15 minutes tranny fluid would form in a longish puddle forward of the drain pan (leaking from hoses?). I had to replenish about 1.5 quarts a few days before I had the problem above. Started it up and drove it today and it shifted fine (took it up to about 5omph). About 3 years ago I had a similar problem, but my guess is it unrelated. If I drove it for a while and it was hot (air temp and car), turned it off then started it back up, it would remain in 1st or

2nd gear ("Limp home mode"). Tranny man switched 2 relays and fixed the problem - same relay used for back up lights. Hadn't seen hide nor hair of the problem since. Did it just run low on fluid and as a result I shouldn't expect it to last too much longer? Not a big deal, it's got 170,000 miles about, just curious what the problem was.
Reply to
JustMe