96 Intrepid problems...grrr...

I don't know much about cars so I'm going to need all the help I can get!!

While driving my automatic 96 Intrepid the other night, I got stuck in some snow and I put the car in reverse and pressed on the gas so that I could get out. That never seemed to cause a problem but all of a sudden, after driving a few miles, I noticed the [Check Engine] light went on, and the car wouldn't go over a certain speed, and would not shift gears.

After driving at a certain speed (the maximum it will go to is about

60km/h), the car sort of jumps a little, I don't know if Im making much sense, but it seems like it's pulling.

Any help would be great, I just don't want to take my car to a mechanic and get screwed over because of the fact that I don't know anything.

If possible, if you could also just let me know how much I'm looking at in repairs, that would be appreciated.

Thanks alot!

- Veronica

Reply to
princess_v

could you have jammed the exhaust with snow?

Reply to
ed

If you're having tranny issues, you are just burning it out driving it more.

Have you checked the transmission fluid?

Reply to
Noozer

Good plan! Just keep driving it in low gear until you need a transmission AND an engine. Whatever your problem is it will only get more expensive if you keep driving it. At this point it may not be that bad.

Bye the way, if your leg was broken would you avoid going to the Dr because you don't know anything about medicine and don't want to get screwed over? Auto repair is like anything else, some shops are good and other ones should be avoided. Find a shop with a good reputation and get your intrepid in quick.

Reply to
Bob

Your transmission is locked in second gear. This is known as limp home mode and meant for just that... to get you home when the computer detects a transmission problem. Continuing to drive the car as fast as you can get it to go in this condition is incredibly stupid.

Chances are you only needed an input or output speed sensor. You might have even just knocked the connection off of one of them. Drive it slowly to someone capable of fixing it before you turn a $150 repair in to a $2500 repair.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

You NEED to get it to a shop. Your burning up the transmission driving it the way you are. I would almost bet that it is too late though, sorry. Your probably looking at a replacement transaxle. $1,200.00 or so if that is the problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

The car is in "limp" mode, which uses ONLY 2nd gear for forward movement and reverse for (obviously) reverse. The most common cause for this is a disagreement between the input and ouput speed sensors on the transmission so that the computer assumes the transmission is slipping. Putting it in "limp" is intended to minimize further damage to the transmission.

Now in practice, the problem is USUALLY not with the transmission but with one or both of the sensors. In this case (obviously driving in snow) I'd guess that you may have knocked a sensor connector loose.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for all the help you guys.

Let me ask you this though, does calling me stupid make you feel better? Cause it seems to me, my first sentence was "I don't know much about cars." So, if it made you sleep better at night thinking you were better than a helpless girl, wow, let me take a few seconds to applaud you. *clap clap* loser.

Anyways, to those who actually cared enough to help, I took it to a shop this morning and the problem was in fact the transmission, I'm either thinking about getting it fixed, the guy said it would cost about $900 but seeing as how the car is getting really old, I'm probably just going to buy my Lancer instead.

Thanks for the help though, It meant a lot.

Reply to
princess_v

Reply to
conan

A couple of us pointed out how stupid it was to drive the car in that condition, but I just read the thread again and no one called you stupid. I don't know why though as the name fits better than "princess"

Reply to
Bob

Who said you were stupid? Several pointed out your actions were stupid, but smart people do stupid things every day. You don't need to know anything about cars to use common sense. If the car were on fire and you could use either a fire extinguisher or a gallon of gas to try to put it out which one would you pick? Same thing applies to this situation... The car obviously isn't working right so you can either drive slowly and carefully to a repair facility or just hold the gas to the floor and see what parts fly off first. No car knowledge needed whatsoever to make this decision.

"it's the transmission" is very often a lazy answer on the mechanics part. Anytime the computer puts the transmission in to limp home mode it stores the codes that tell you what is wrong. Did he tell you what the codes were? If so pass them on to us. If not take it somewhere else for diagnosis. Ask family and friends for the name of a shop they trust or you could take it to a dealer for diagnosis. With the problem you have and the conditions that caused it I would really be surprised if it was actually an internal transmission problem. If it were actually "the transmission" your cost would far exceed $900. My gut feeling on this one is that this shop is trying to take advantage of you.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Transmission, or just the input or output SPEED SENSORS. The difference in price is a LOT. I'm

Alarm bells are going off in my head BIG TIME. A bad transmission on an Intrepid costs a HELL of a lot more than $900, and a bad speed sensor costs a HELL of a lot less! You need to find out more details. Sounds like this shop is replacing the sensors and charging you an arm, leg, and partial torso for the job.

but seeing as how the car is getting really old, I'm

Not a fair trade unless you're talking about a '62 Dodge Lancer ;-) A Mitsushitti Lancer isn't in the same league as even a worn-out Intrepid.

Reply to
Steve