'96 Intrepid Tie Rod Bushings

Hello, group! I have a '96 Intrepid and I have had to replace the inner tie rod end bushings twice in the past 4 + years. It this a common occurrence for this vehicle?

Thanks in Advance

Dennis

Reply to
D. E. Smith

I know I see it periodically discussed on both a 300M and an Intrepid forum as a common occurrence. You might go to

and do a search in their forums - maybe search the words "inner" and "bushings" at the same time - if nothing else, the number of threads that pop up will give you some idea of the frequency of this problem (pretty high).

Take a look at this link:

It shows you how to makeyour own bushings out of standard aftermarket polyurethane stabilizerbar link bushings - requires a little modification to those bushings,but you also avoid having to pull the whole rack out to do it like youwould have to do with the OEM bushings. Also, I have seen discussed that some of the aftermarket bushings specifically for this application are two-piece, and therefore installable without having to remove the rack - and I believe those are also polyurethane - if not, I would go with the above link for the roll-your-own polyurethane bushings (hint: polyurethane bushings will last forever).

BTW - stabilizer bar bushing failures also plague these cars - there is an aftermarket mail order source for polyurethane verions of those too

- not exact fit, but they can be made to work - brackets have to be modified - putting a set in my Concorde now).

Bill Putney