Any advantage of bigger tires?

I have seen some posts where people have replaced their OEM 205/70/15 size tires with 225/70/15 on a Honda CRV.

What are the real advantages of doing this?

Reply to
Steve

Slightly larger contact patch at each corner (due to the wider width), which will increase traction in dry conditions.

The wider tire also affects the overall circumference of the tire, so the speedometer/odometer will be off, but hardly enough to notice in everyday driving.

A wider tire will also result in: 1) less ability to dig through snow causing lack of traction 2) reduce ability of tire to eject water from contact area causing increased possibility of hydroplaning, unless the tread pattern of the wider tire is enhanced to take this into account.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Few. Perhaps you can find tires more readily available in the larger size. I dunno.

If you want to increase handling, you should actually be looking at larger wheels (16") and then decreasing the profile (60 series) and using something like 225-60-16. You need to check for clearance for the larger wheel and tire.

Reply to
Jimmy

Actually, while the contact patch is wider, it is the exact same size (area).

Reply to
Jimmy

Well

If you happen to drive in soft sand, dirt, or clay once in awhile a wider tire can give you a significant advantage in that it keeps you from sinking down in the mire....think sandals vs stelleto heels on the beach.....

also lowering your tire pressure to 15 to 20 psi helps alot on sand etc......just make sure to reinflate them when you get back on a hard surface...

Blll

Reply to
BllFs6

CU just summarized the larger rim pluses and minuses:

Advantages:

better cornering on dry pavement slightly better stopping on ice (curious) looks "kewl"

Disadvantages:

very much worse on snow much more prone to hydroplaning worse ride susceptible to damage from potholes and other road hazards much more expensive

So, the larger wheels are good if you have the money and drive very fast on dry, smooth, windy roads.

Reply to
kgold

Yes, and increase your chance of a roll-over in extreme maneuvers.

Correct. Going from a 205/70R15 the owner should have opted for a

225/65R15 to keep the speedometer accurate (overall circumferance). Of course, the shorter sidewall will have a harsher (stiffer) ride.

And a wider tire also has more rolling resistance and drag so expect slightly worse fuel economy as well.

Except for sand and soft mud, wider tires on a truck are strictly a styling thing.

--- Bror Jace

Reply to
Bror Jace

While the sidewall is higher, the track is wider. You'd need to present some evidence to prove that the height issue is more significant than the change in track width. I don't doubt your "seat of the pants" suggestion but it would be debatable.

The sidewall of a 225/65 is actually higher than the 205/70. It's a better match but it will not have a shorter sidewall.

Reply to
Jimmy

My Advantages:

- lots of momentum

- lots of fun

- lots of handling

- lots of comfort

- lots of visibility

- run over curbs

- run over rodents

- looks threatening

- sounds threatening

- carry fat loads of people

My Drawbacks:

-Wearing suspension ball joints, brakes

- Unstable when hitting a pot hole

- Very goofy

- Very costly $150/tire

- Changing tires impossible for vegetarians.

I've had a better time of my life with my tiny Honda tires.

Reply to
Indian Summer