Blower/Compressor Control Problem (2002 VW Cabrio)

Hi,

This is my first post, so excuse any naivete on my part here.

I have a 2002 VW Cabrio. A n annoying problem recently developed with the blower/compressor control. The blower no longer works when the fan switch is set to speeds 1, 2, and 3. And the compressor doesn't work when the fan switch is at 4.

Let me describe that again... When the A/C button is in the "ON" position (i.e. pressed in) and the fan switch is on setting 1-3, the compressor is running (the engine dips and I can hear the compressor running) but the blower does not run. When the fan switch is on setting 4, the compressor turns off and blower turns on.

What could be the problem here? Could it be a relay switch? Which one? Where are they located? Does anyone have a map available?

I found another post that seems to describe a related, but not identical problem (and that was a 1990 Golf -- so maybe it's not applicable...although I believe late model Cabrios are very similar to Golfs of the early 90s)

The last post in that thread makes me thing maybe the main feed to the relay has been disconnected? But how do I check this? I have never worked on the electrical system on a car before and I don't have a Haynes or Bentley manual for this car yet, so the more explanation responders can provide the better...

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer!

Jennifer

Reply to
jennifer.vargo

Reading around...I think I may have a faulty blower motor resistor. Can anyone tell me where this is located in the Cabrio?

Thanks, Jennifer

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

jennifer.vargo

Jennifer, We recently had a similar problem on a later model Cabrio, I think the model is a coincidence, except our blower was functioning and the compressor was not. After my trusty mechanic tracked down the problem, it was the control switch assembly on the dashboard. Apparently, that fan speed switch controls the compressor speed and the blower speed simultaneously.

That's all I know. Hopefully that helps focus the repair and cuts down on the mechanics time.

Trevor

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hieroglyphiks

Trevor,

Thanks for your reply.

Turns out it WAS the blower motor resistor. Got to it by removing the glovebox and the right vent so I could stick a screwdriver in there. $40 for the part at the dealership. (I asked how much labor would have been to service at the dealership and they said $220. -- Yay, saved $220!)

Jennifer

Hieroglyphiks wrote:

jennifer.vargo