Boat/Ship engines/cooling system.

Paul wrote in news:hs43dm$vd7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

And where exactly will be the water in the pipe?

Reply to
chuckcar

It happened inadvertently in a diesel tank at one of my customers. One day they fired up the generator and the pump and filter clogged up instantly with a slimy grey bacteria culture.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Oil is less dense than water. It floats on water. The counteracting force will be the denser water.

Reply to
Paul

I know an elderly gentleman ('Duke of Duval') who lives in Mesquite,Texas, suburb city of Dallas.He is retired, he is a Ham Radio operator.He was in the U.S.Navy, Pacific, in World War Two.After the Navy, he worked in some oil fields in America and some other countries around the World.I reckon he knows a lot about oil rigs and oil production.I haven talked to him (via emailing) in a few years though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Oil is less dense than water. It floats. The only pump needed will be one to pump the fluid above sea level. A simple suction pump on a boat can do that.

FYI: There are bottom hole pumps that pump fluids out of wells thousands of feet deep. There are easily tens of thousands in use.

5000' of water column is only about 2200 psi. A minuscule amount.

Me: Geoscientist, project manager. O&G, environmental, coal bed methane. For a long time.

Reply to
Paul

Methane Gas Bubble Triggered Deadly Oil Rig Explosion [Gulf/BP]

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That is a serious problem. Diesel is sometimes water pumped, and there end up traces of water in the product. Bacteria can grow in this and they leave really snotty deposits. It can be fatal to gas turbines when they run duel fuel applications. There are products that will keep this from happening.

Reply to
hls

Are you going to create new jobs for all fishermen

******Nope...I feel sorry for them, just as I would if a hurricane blew their houses and boats away and ruined their fishing. BP will pay something (probably not enough) and they will just have to take what they get, and get on with life.
***** I call it as I see it. I have no monetary interest in this in any way.
Reply to
hls

It is heavier than oil and will sink. I don't think they are planning to seal the bottom of the container but dont know for sure.

Reply to
Paul

Watching ABC tv news.They said the big oil containment box didn't work,,, clogged with ice crystals. What will BP do now? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Paul wrote in news:hs4hck$j4n$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

And so water is an anti-gravity liquid? LOL.

Reply to
chuckcar

"hls" wrote in news:9YadnSDG4LlaWHjWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Fair enough and my comment was made right in the heat of the argument anyways. Your later post changed my viewpoint somewhat. Also, there are some trolls here. I have spotted some new ones or nyms in this thread I think.

Reply to
chuckcar

I am sure the bottom is not sealed. It is planned to function a little like the old DORIS tank on Ekofisk field.

Now, if the oil flows into this dome faster than they can pump it out, it will continue to pollute the ocean. This is not a hard fix.

Reply to
hls

These news reporters have been tryhing to repeat what they have heard, and not understood. Methane gas can exist, under those temperatures and pressures, as crystals called "clathrates" or simply gas hydrates.

We could discuss this in another thread.

Let the system stabilize and let's hope they find a way to make it work. If not, we are in for a long nasty problem.

Reply to
hls

Your comments here about fluid density and your comments about tritium show that you have a lack of understanding of basic science.

Reply to
Paul

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Paul wrote in news:hs4thd$npe$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Ah, how sad that trolls have to revert to such pathetic maneuvers as lying, and distorting the truth .to cover their complete ignorance of virtually everything.

Reply to
chuckcar

The suction lift limitation is a function of the atmospheric pressure on the surface of the liquid, the weight of the liquid and the vacuum created on the suction side of the pump. It has no bearing on the output side of the pump and the maximum "head". There is no need whatsoever for pumping stations at 30' intervals as the pumps can readily push the fluid much higher than they can suck it.

Reply to
Pete C.

If they can push, then they are no longer operating on the vacuum principle. Simple vacuum pumps cannot lift a column higher that the approximate

30 odd feet. And as you go higher in elevation, that 30 odd feet will drop as the air pressure drops. Some of these pumps simply lift the fluid past a foot valve or check valve and there is no positive displacement. A lot of the old potable water wells worked this way.

We are basically in agreement on all these things, and we understand them the same way.

Reply to
hls

By the way, do you have any experience with ram pumps? Nowadays nobody much knows about them.

I think Sears and Montgomery Ward used to sell them.

They were mostly used for potable water systems where there was no power to pump the water. With a little "head", their oscillating diaphragms could pump water a long way, at small volumes. But it was enough to bring water up from a spring or a creek, and you could keep enough water in your cistern or holding tank to keep you going.

Last one of these I saw was a totally homemade one, made from PVC pipe and simple hardware.

Reply to
hls