"Check Engine" Light, And Cars Computer ?

Hello:

Have been getting a "Check Engine" light on my '97 Buick Le Sabre.

Totally random. Sometimes on starting, other times while driving. No discernable difference in cars performance whether light is on or off.

If I bring in for service, Murphy being Murphy, am convinced light would probably be off for them.

Question: Once light is on, is the fault indication stored in the cars computer, so even if light is off when brought in, they can diognose what caused it ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

JimV

Maybe. My friendly Lincoln Mercury dealer "could not read (understand) the codes" after a check engine light came on and stayed on in spite of repeated resets. Turned out to be a clogged EGR sensor - diagnosed by an independent (and very, very savvy) shop with the right training.

BTW - the state of New Jersey will not even look at your car for inspection if the check engine light is lit.

Regards,

Marv

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to