Dealership Only For Warranty Repair ?

Hello;

Saw in Alldata that there's been a recall on my '97 Buick Lesabre for intake manifold cracking.

Very likely that this might be the cause of the total oss of coolant in the overflow tank I experience every month or so.

My question is; do I absolutely have to take it back to a Buick dealership for the repair / replacement ?

I have a local service station repair shop I like very much, and am totally unimpressed by the local Buick dealership.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I've had independent shops do warranty work. The old shop I used to work at would do the work and then claim with the dealership. YMMV. check with your shop and see if that's something they're willing to do.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

"Robert11" wrote

No, it's probably not the cause of the coolant loss. This recall is not about a "leaking" manifold. It's about the possiblity of a backfire in the engine basically expoding the plastic upper intake plenum.

I've never heard of a non dealership place being able to do, or wanting to do GM recall work. There may be some special places that have the authority to do this...but for the average person, you must go to the dealership.

Well, I doubt that your local service station repair shop will be very impressed with you when you want them to "reflash" your PCM. They probably don't have the equipment to do this...nor the access to the software code anyway.

That's what the recall is about...."reflashing" your PCM, not replacing the upper intake manifold for a coolant leak.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Besides the Tech 2 and the SPS CD-Rom disks with the software, what else is required to reflash the PCM EPROM?

Reply to
Rob

"Rob"wrote

If you have the Tech 2, the TIS software and up to date software code for reflashing, and the hook up from the computer to the Tech 2, I guess you would be good to go. I'm not aware of too many other people other then dealerships having the capabilities of reflashing GM modules. I'm sure there are some...but the average shop won't have the capability.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai