electrical tape for internal trans wire?

Hi everyone,

I have a question I'd like to ask. Someone in my family had a chevy C3500 pick-up (4L80E trans) serviced because the front transmission seal was leaking. The mechanic (who works out of his car garage..not reputable biz) replaced the leaking seal and also said that the torque converter needed replacement. He said that a faulty converter was also contributing to the seal leakage, so that work was also done.

I just received the pick-up truck back, and after several days, the transmission started acting odd. Now, it won't go into 3rd gear from

2nd.

Out of curiousity, I decided to check out the transmission fluid and filter, and interestingly enough, I noticed that one of the blue sheathed electrical wires inside of the housing (actually, inside of the pan, near the trans filter) was deliberately crimped by *someone* and is now exposed. The blue sheathed wire that is now exposed is paired with a purple wire, and both seem to lead to a sensor of some kind. I didn't notice anything like that when I changed the filter and fluid two days before this guy worked on it. Hmmmmmm..

Anyway, whatever the case may be, I now need to to protect that wire. Should I use a special kind of electrical tape to wrap around this damaged wire considering that hot transmission fluid is going to be flowing around it inside of the pan? I was going to apply some "liquid black electrical tape" and let it dry, but was thinking about wrapping some ordinary electrical tape around it. Would it be OK to use ordinary electrical tape to wrap around that exposed wire, or should I seek out a special kind of tape considering that hot trans fluid that's going to be flowing all around it? It is a concern that the tape might come off the wire and end up floating around in the trans...perhaps causing damage.

thanks

tysteel5000 @ aol.com

Reply to
tysteel

Take that vehicle back.Otherwise, old fashioned electricians tape is the best. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I don't like the idea of using tape in that kind of environment. Can you remove the wire from its connector and slide some heat shrink over it, then reassemble? I loves me some heat shrink. Otherwise I would probably clean the wire well with a strong solvent (brakleen?) and use the liquid stuff.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Electrical tape is pvc. It will not last long inside a trans. It will harden and the petroleum based glue will disolve. Use self sticking silicone tape. Or cut the wire, add shrink tubing, solder, and shink the tubing.

Reply to
PauL

Thank you to all who responded. It's very much appreciated

Reply to
tysteel

Tape will NEVER hold up in there. The only thing I'd even think about risking is heat-shrink tubing over the splice.

Reply to
Steve

Old fashioned Friction tape is what I was talking about.Made of tar coated cotton and a (vulcanized with sulphur) rubber adhesive.I still have a few rolls of it here.I almost never use that plastic/vinyl tape, I have seen it unwrap by itself too many times before, especially in cold weather.If you live in an old house, you will find friction tape wrapped around some of the electric wire connections in the walls, chances are that old friction tape is still just as good as new, but it has hardened up over the years.There is a special kind of tape available that some shortwave radio and ham radio operators for their outdoor antennas.3M company invented plastic tape back in the 1940s. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I don't think any kind of tape will hold up to hot transmission fluid. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin