Focus - Squeaky Rattle

Hi folks, I am posting this here in the hopes that someone has had and solved this annoying little problem.

I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE sedan with the Zetec engine. There is an odd sound that seems to originate in the passenger footwell.It sounds mostly like a rattle, but it is slightly squeaky.

The sound was present last summer, but disappeared in winter. Now that the weather is warmer, it has come back. (Slightly worse than last year.) Given the temperature factor, I thought it might be related to the A/C, but there is no difference with the A/C on or off. The sound starts when you reach about 50 km/h (30 mph) but it doesn't get worse with increasing speed; it is just there or not.

The car has been in four minor accidents (the airbags have never gone off) and the right front fender and fender liner were replaced at one point.

I know I can tear out some of the panels in that area, and get a friend to drive the car while I poke and prod with my head in the footwell, but I don't enjoy the thought.

Any suggestions?

(Please reply to the newsgroup; this account is not used for email.)

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Beaton