*goofy* can struts be repaired?

Was just curious if it was possible to repair worn struts. Even if machinery was accessible. I think there's even more to it then that though.

Reply to
Chris

I dont know what you are trying to ask.

You can replace the cartridges in the struts easily enough. And you can replace bushings, etc.

You cannot cut open a strut cartridge and repair it, at least not with any I have ever seen. Even if you could, it would cost more than it would be worth.

Have I missed your meaning totally?

Reply to
<HLS

Depends on the specific strut and what's worn out on it. But, odds are you need to have access to the appropiate factory assembly fixtures and tooling to get it right.

Reply to
Brent P

I have this old LeBaron, and was hesitant about putting money into it (it needs upwards of $500+ of parts, and that wouldn't even take care of the valve seals (it burns oil if you sit and idle too long). That figure does include a new catalytic converter though, that would promptly bite the dust due to the problem I mentioned. So I was being cheap. Thought I could cut that figure down if I repaired some of the needed parts instead of buying them outright. On a side note has anyone used JB Weld to repair a plastic/metal radiator? I was told that you can repair the plastic part well enough, but of course my problem is where the metal and plastic join...

Reply to
Chris

And honestly I don't even know a whole lot about the makeup of a strut even. I would imagine there are diagrams on the net somewhere. Heck I searched and found a way to do a front end alignment by my lonesomes!

Reply to
Chris

You sound like the perfect candidate for a pick-a-part wrecking yard. Parts are cheap and you pull them off yourself, which is great when trying to put them back into your car.

Reply to
Noozer

JB Weld bonds just fine to metal. The problem is that it sets hard as a rock and won't always take

I've used JB as a _temporary_ fix to an all-metal radiator core. (Temporary meaning I did it a year ago, and I am only just now getting around to replacing the rad core, but in the interval the truck has only seen

Reply to
zwsdotcom