MOANING Chrysler Cirrus??

My 1996 Chrysler Cirrus w/2.4L engine has recently started to make a low frequency "moaning" noise. It appears to only happen with my foot on the gas and accelerating. It doesn't stay for long though, and doesn't appear to do it at all above about 50 MPH. It's definately coming from the front of the car.

When I say the noise doesn't stay for long, what I mean is that the moaning will only happen for like 3 seconds at a time. Lets say I'm idling, hit the gas to accelerate, nothing, nothing, MOAN, nothing, nothing, nothing, MOAN etc.

I don't want it to sound like a transmission problem, but it appears that the MOANING happens just before upshifting. It doesn't do it at all if my foot is off the gas pedeal and/or I'm slowing down.

I've searched online and the only complaints I've seen that people have had with MOANING sounds in their Stratus, Cirrus or Breeze all were regards to the Power Steering system.

Can a Power Steering system make noise when I'm not even turning the wheels??

Anyone got any ideas?

THANKS!:)

PS I just read on the NHTSA site a complaint from someone that had to have the TCM replaced because the 41TE transmission was "moaning at upshift points". Maybe this is the problem??

Reply to
bigbossfan80