No high beam on chevrolet cavalier?

Hi there.

Struggling here and could really do with some help please.

Got a 1999 chevrolet cavalier, (in Canada) and I lost the use of the high beam. Really strange as the main drive lights work and the regular lights but when I go to use the high beam, all the headlights go out !!

Driving at night...... nudge the lever towards me for hi beam and everything goes dark at the front.

I just attacked it with a multimeter and the highbeam bulbs are ok.

Got myself stumped here :-(

Could anyone please let me know what they think would be causing it?

Thankyou

Andrew

Reply to
andrew123

Shep

Thanks Shep for the reply.

Will attack it in the morning and see if there's a current.

All the best

Andrew

Reply to
andrew123

If this uses a seperate relay for the high beams you could check it there. If there is no input current at the relay it may be a switch problem.

Reply to
marks542004

Faulty DRL relay, located in the fuse/relay panel behind the cover on the left side of the instrument panel. This relay puts the high beam filaments in series with one another for Daytime Running mode, and switches them back to parallel-feed for normal high beam usage.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

My prime suspect would be the dimmer switch, having encountered the exact same symptoms (minus the "main driving lights" -- do you mean Daytime Running Lights? -- which I didn't have) on three other cars over the years -- low beams behave as usual, high beams give complete darkness -- and always found that to be the culprit.

Dunno how they implemented this in your car, but on my '95 Chevy van, the lever proved to be connected via a long zigzaggy pushrod to a switch that was mounted further down the steering column. The manual suggested assuming the Jacques Cousteau going off the back of the boat position and replacing it from below, but I found removing the instrument cluster to be far easier, on that car.

Does your flash-to-pass feature still work?

Good luck,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera