O2 Bank1 Sensor '01 Toyota Avalon (false positive?)

I just had my '01 Toyota Avalon in the shop to replace the timing belts & engine belt, Monday. Today being Saturday afternoon I started the car to go out and the check engine light came on. I dropped by the service dept and had it checked. The service dept. said I need an O2 sensor Bank1 Sensor 1 '01 Toyota Avalon - P01135 - I .

Thursday, I filled half way with gas and added a large bottle of Techron. Do you think that may have caused a false positive - such a strong ratio of Techron to half tank of gas? Should I have the code cleared and see what happens?

Thanks for all the help.

NewsGroups

There is no such code as a P01135. Was it perhaps a P1135 or a P0135 or a P0113?

Assuming that the O in your P01135 is a typo, and that the real code is P1135, that is an air fuel sensor heater code and is not likely to be caused by your over dousing the fuel with Techron.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No, they shouldn't have said that. That code means the oxygen sensor is out of range. Now that COULD be caused by a bad sensor, but more likely an engine that is misfiring.

Probably not, but it could be. More likely there is some other issue causing your exhaust to be way off. I'd reset it first and see what happens but I would also pull data off all the other engine sensors and see what is going on inside.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Nope, P1135 (improperly typed code # corrected) is set when the B1S1 A/F sensor *heater* fails it's monitor test. RE: "P01135 - I" -- I'm willing to bet that the poster wrote down exactly what was written on the invoice. It wouldn't be the first time that a service writer passed on incorect info to the customer.

Definitely not. I wouldn't worry about it (other than the sensor cost) because heater failure on the B1S1 of more recent Toyota transverse V6s is a really common problem, which is supposedly fixed with the latest OE part(s) revisions.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I have yet to see an O2 heater code be a false positive for a failed O2. "Lean indication," "out of range," etc. are frequently NOT going to be fixed with a new sensor but need the dirty MAF cleaned or a vaccum leak fixed.

We probably replace 1-2 O2 sensors/week for burnt out heaters. At this time when we see a heater code we just replace the O2 sensor -- hasn't bitten us yet.

Don

Don