Proper way to Remove and Recover a Car Headliner

Anyone ever take their headliner off and recover it?

I have an older model Ford Explorer I need to do this on.

I have seen some web sites where you can get the headliner material that includes stickum spray.

I am looking for some tricks of that trade.

Mike

Reply to
mike

We did our Cherokee's last summer. I used Permatex heavy duty spray adhesive. It even says it's for headliners. My wife picked up the fabric she wanted which isn't wide enough to cover lengthwise so I put it sideways with a seam across at the half way point.

The biggest bitch was getting the old foam off the headboard. We used a stiff brush and had a couple beers to pass the time....

Mike

Mike Romain

How did you create a seam?

Mike

Reply to
mike

I had the headliner out on the workbench and glued it very carefully....

The design repeated so it wasn't 'too' hard to line it up. I used to do renovations and am good at lining up seams in stuff like wallpaper, arborite and paneling.

I also had 2 people to hold up the fabric while I lined it up so I didn't glue stick it too soon. It turned out pretty good.

Mike

mike wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

so the seam was folded over on the edge and glued on top of the other section of headliner?

Reply to
mike

My wife bought fabric with one finished edge and it is a nice enough finish to look ok. That kept the bump down to a minimum. It is a good idea to tape the first piece or hold thin cardboard on it when you spray the glue for the second piece to avoid overspray.

Mike

Mike Romain