Re: What are currently your 3 favorite muscle cars and why ?

Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3 > favorite muscle

> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't > have to > offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that > stuff is mentioned.
  1. Dual Quad Hemi Cuda - Cutie with monstrous power to weight ratio.
  2. ZL-1 Camaro with L88/89 aluminum engine - If you have to ask ...
  3. Tri-Power 427 Stingray fastback with chambered side pipes - Sleek beauty with performance.and sound to match
Reply to
That Tune

Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'. If the first Cudas had beat the first Mustangs in popularity... 'pony cars' would be known as 'fish cars'!

Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'.

Not a muscle car... a sports car.

A muscle car is defined as an American intermediate size car (in their basic, bottom line 6 cylinder state, they were purchased by nuns and church ladies etc.), which had the largest most powerful engine that the manufacture had in inventory, jammed into the engine compartment. Names, badges, letters of alphbet etc., denoting performance were attached to the body work.The Pontiac GTO is regarded as the first muscle car.

As kids in the 1960's, when we heard one approaching, we would stand on either side of the road and pretend that we were flag men at the starting line of a race track. We would gesture to the approaching car with our imaginary race flags. Most didn't disappoint by not opening the 4, 6, 8, or whatever number of barrels they had under the hood! We would not do this close to school, lest the nuns were to see us... they were just too scary, almost the same kind of scary as riding in a muscle car at full chat!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Looks like it was the 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88.

Reply to
willy

On Apr 4, 4:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (M.A. Stewart) wrote: .

Cuda is definitely a muscle car. All though called "Pony Cars", clubs, sites and I would think most people consider Mustang and Camaro a muscle car. I do.

Reply to
willy

Take it from someone who was involved at the time, each of those cars were indisputably considered to be muscle cars, with the hemi-cuda being at the throne. Does the name Arlen Vanke ring a bell for anyone?

Reply to
That Tune

Old Chrysler 300 C Hemis, old Dodge Hemis.1957 Ford Fairlane 500. Christine.American Muscle Cars.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

mid 60's Mustang.. pony car

427 Fairlane.. muscle car Camaro.. pony car 427 Chevelle... muscle car Challener... pony car 426 SuperBee... muscle car Firebird.. pony car 389 tripower GTO... muscle car

That's the way I 'member it.

Reply to
Anna Khonda

There is ( or used to be) a bloke in Upper Hutt New Zealand that built awesome replicas for around $60k.(that was turn key around 15 or so years ago so probably now $80K) He was that good that he actually exported some of them to the US. Graham Berry was the bloke (search for Graham Berry Race Cars). He used to do an awesome Almac versions with a 427 or similar engine. Seen a couple and I think Id rather pay him $70 than $200k for a genuine version. The sound of them roaring past was unbelievable.

Reply to
Scotty

Wouldn't you include my '70 429 SCJ Torino as a muscle car? I did mop some, but not all, hemis both on the street and on the strip.

Like a fool I sold it but I still know where it is.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Sure.... The list was not all inclusive, but an illustration in the debate on muscle vs. pony.....>

Reply to
Anna Khonda

Of course it is... it fits the definition.

You definitely wouldn't have been able to 'mop' the Charger that was used in the movie 'Bullitt', on the streets of San Francisco.

Before the movie was filmed, the movie cars used were extensively modified, mostly heavy reinforcement to the undercarriage. In conjunction, the suspensions were tweaked and tuned with Koni racing shocks etc.. They then took the cars out to the race track (Riverside?) to test the modifications and to further tune and tweak. The modified Mustangs (GT's and not) were an embarrassment to themselves compared to the track performance of the Charger. The Charger (a heavier car than the Mustangs) was much faster around the track. For filming they decided to handicap the Charger by putting the smallest tires on it that they could find, which wouldn't self-destruct during filming!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

There was a company in New Britain, Connecticut that did the same. Back then a turn-key was about $50K US. And they were "correct", besides, right down to what little trim there was!

I remember reading about some brothers who started building replicas in Poland in an old MiG factory, but that was 15-20 years ago. Guess it didn't fly... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Anna Conda what?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I've never seen a Chevelle with a 427 in it.

Reply to
TS02_05champ

My Top three Choices are 1957 Chrysler 300 C and 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 and 1958 Chrysler Imperial.Two door hardtops.Chrysler and Ford - Ford and Chrysler.I don't want any of that foreign brand name stuff.Anything other than that, I might as well be like Slim Pickens, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I haven't either.

AMuzi

"In 1969, several dealers took advantage of the Central Office Producion Orders (COPO) to receive some impressive muscle cars. The Chevelle was among the Corvette and Camaro which got the potent 427 this way."

Now on the other hand I have seen a Corvette and a Camaro with a 427.

A friend of my Dad had the Vette, and as a teenager a friend on mine was gonna buy a '69 Camaro with a 427 in it....until his Dad test drove it.

That thing was scary fast and he wouldn't let him buy it.

Reply to
TS02_05champ

It's the combination of "scary fast" and "handles like a walrus on the turns" that is so terrifying.

The Chevelle's handling made the Camaro seem responsive in comparison.

Really, this is a terrible, terrible way to die.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Well I guess that settles it. Two guys never saw one, so.... There was never a 427 Chevelle. (Other than the one my friend had in 1968....)

Reply to
Anna Khonda

Ah, neither of us said that there wasn't a Chevelle with a 427.

We both said that we had never seen one...and given the fact that those cars were so rare, when one thinks of a Chevelle as a muscle car, it was either equipped with a 396 or 454. Even the ones that had 350s with 202 heads were pretty quick. I owned 3 '72 Chevelles SS, with each of those engines. So, what's with the list below, mentioning a 427 Chevelle, when I'm guessing that most people have never seen or even heard of one?

I got a muscle car for ya...the friend that I mentioned when I was a teen, well his mother had a '70 Monto Carlo with a 402 in it...ever seen one of those?