Turning Signal "Clicking" Won't Go Off

The clicking sound the steering column makes when the turn signals are on, will not stop in my truck. All of the signal lights appear to be in working order, the noise just stays on constantly. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Cyke

The clicking signifies that the relay is functioning. When you turn the blinkers off on the steering column; 1) do u still hear the clicking?;

2) If so, are the tail lights blinking on and off along with dash indicators?
Reply to
gobroncos

Thanks for the prompt response...

1) Yes, the clicking continues almost constantly.

2) The turn lights (both front and rear) only blink when the dash indicator is on (as normal).

Again, everything appears to be working fine. It's just an annoyance more than anything else, but I also want to make sure that something else is not wrong...

David.

gobr> The clicking signifies that the relay is functioning. When you turn the

Reply to
Cyke

That is definitely an odd problem, sounds like the relay is staying on even when you turn the signal off.

Auto Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

When turn indicators, and signal lamps are off, and signal lever is left in the idle position, does clicking sound continue?

Reply to
gobroncos

Try cycling the hazards. Next, locate the culprit relay, tap test it, then try reseating it. If it is indeed your turn signal relay, and it is clicking, your turn si gnal lamps will be illuminating. Jim

Reply to
gobroncos

Yes, after the signal lever is returned to it's normal position (and the turn indicators have gone off), the clicking sound continues...

Reply to
Cyke

My guess is that it is not the turn signal relay, however I'm not aware of any other relay that operates at this frequency. All else fails, would disconnect neg Bat cable, then reconnect it after say, 5 minutes. Am curious as to make, model and year. Jim

Reply to
gobroncos

I should have stated that at the beginning...sorry...

It is a '98 GMC Sierra C1500.

I did try cycling the hazard lights this morning. It did improve the clicking (it doesn't happen constantly now, it's more intermittent) but the clicking still does exist. FYI, the switch to turn on my hazard lights is also on the steering column (on the top)

Reply to
Cyke

Have u located the relay. Is the sound in the steering column, or underneath the dash. Also try the negative Bat cable.

Reply to
gobroncos

I didn't get a chance to look at it last night, but will tonight or tomorrow...I was able to determine that the sound is coming from underneath the dash not from the steering column...

Reply to
Cyke

Should be a little silver cannister or a little black box the size of a quarter. While its clicking, give it a tap. If it stops, great, otherwise, pull the neg Bat cable and wait 5 minutes then put Bat cable back on. Jim

Reply to
gobroncos

I was able to locate and replace the turn signal flasher relay. This did not fix the problem. The clicking still continues. I will try the battery cable thing this weekend. Thanks for all of your help so far and I hope you have a safe and happy holiday!

David.

gobr> Should be a little silver cannister or a little black box the size of a

Reply to
Cyke

Is the one you changed, the one making the noise?

Mike

Mike Romain

Replace the turn signal switch.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes the one I replaced was the one making the noise. I was able to remove the relay and the noise went away (of course, the turn signals didn't work at this point). However, when I replaced the module, I still had the same problem.

David.

Mike Roma> Is the one you changed, the one making the noise?

Reply to
Cyke

That would imply something is drawing power through it. The wiring usually goes from the flasher right to the signal light switch. I also think the hazard switch has a tag in there too.

I would be working that emergency flasher switch a few more times to see if it gets better or changes again. They made a bunch of bad emergency switches in the Jeeps of that age too so it would be my first suspect.

Mike

Cyke wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Might be. Something is definitely drawing current or partially shorting to ground downstream of the flasher, anyway.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel