UPDATE (Fixed): 1994 NY 3.5L Harsh downshift 2-1 when slowing to a stop.

REF: 1994 NY 3.5L Harsh downshift 2-1 when slowing to a stop. 08-31-2002.

Since my original posting approximately 1 year ago on Aug 31, 2002, I've done a couple of things.

  1. In September, 2002, removed and cleaned the main cable connectors at the Powertrain Control Module (very contaminated, located on the passenger side front engine compartment, low) and the Transmission Control Module (fairly clean, located on the driver's side front engine compartment). This seemed to improve the shifting but not fully. Approximately a month of driving after the cleaning (coincidently when the weather became cold) the bone-jarring "bump shift" problem went away.

  1. In mid July, 2003, the transmission had trouble picking a gear when slowing from 60 mph to 20 mph then back to 60 mph, in freeway traffic from the airport, on a warm evening. And later I noticed a tendency to sometimes hard shift (similar to the "Bump Shift" but much less severe) when coming to a stop from second gear to first during other trips. This time I R&R'd the INPUT SPEED SENSOR and the OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR located on the driver's side of the transmission. The transmission immediately began shifting smoother than it ever had and continues to be trouble free! Total cost of sensors: .

Please be aware that the troubles that plague the Chrysler 4-speed electronically controlled transmission, are NOT ALWAYS an indication of the need for a transmission rebuild or replacement, as some dealers would have you believe! I'm very glad I declined the recommendation from the Kirkland Chrysler Jeep, Inc (Kirkland, Wa.) service department. I know that it's difficult to diagnose correctly all the time but I believe that this recommendation (the most expensive option) was not worth the $90 they charged. And, since most of the newsgroup postings blame either poor transmission fluid change schedule or poor choice of fluid name brand, for this same issue, I hope that this finding will help others facing a $3,000 - $5,000 transmission repair recommendation, to try cheaper options first!

Reply to
Bill Hodgson