wacky idea - non-smoking oil?

OK, so I'm an engineer, not a chemist... but while stuck in traffic today behind yet another oil-burning minivan (guess the mfgr - go ahead) was idly wondering about something. Oil is basically a hydrocarbon, yes? So why, in this day and age of emission controls and oxygen sensors and closed-loop engine controls does an oil burner still emit voluminous clouds of noxious smoke? Would it not be possible to design a lubricant that meets the appropriate lubricant specs but also burns cleanly in a gasoline or Diesel ICE? Would be a lovely way to keep older vehicles on the road without destroying the environment or offending fellow commuters... Especially with Diesels I don't see the big issue, I thought a Diesel could run on damn near anything with an appropriate cetane rating. In fact, I've heard tell of Diesels "running away" when an older engine with a leaky head ingests enough oil to keep the process going without any actual fuel being introduced.

anyone with more knowledge or expertise care to comment?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I think you're confusing the "cloud" of smoke with "noxious smoke". Think about diesel engines - many output smoke as a daily routine.

Reply to
mst

Heard of using synthetic in such situations, higher flash point, allegedly less or no smoke. A "runaway" diesel is usually the result of blowby (rings).

Reply to
pater

Thinking back to my courses in organic chemistry: Any good antifriction material will act the same way - molecules slipping over each other. The larger the molecule the better the antifriction ability. It takes energy and oxygen to break down and then oxidize the smaller parts. Injecting oxygen into the system at several hot points should oxidize the broken HC molecules... Hmmm... sounds like a catcon witn an AIR system.

Reply to
« Paul »

It was a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth with a 3.0-litre Bitsushitti V6 engine and less than 70k miles on it.

The O2S and the rest of the closed-loop engine management system has no effect on the amount of smoke produced by an oil-burning engine. The catcon consumes a great deal of the smoke, but a great deal more still remains.

No.

Better and less expensive: Fix the older vehicles so that they don't burn oil.

Well mostly when they ingest enough oil via worn-out rings, yes. Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines can run on a dry fuel tank, too, when the engine's worn enough and the oil's contaminated enough.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Daniel J. Stern wrote:> >

Long before there was such a thing as the EPA, Detroit was making the two-stroke diesel. This engine put out lots emissions, made huge amounts of noise and never failed to pass up the diesel pump. Anyway, these engines were notorious for sucking oil past the rings and running wide open without having a drop of diesel in the fuel tank. The manufacturer was smart to put an air flapper in the intake so that the operator could shut off the air to stop the engine in an emergency. So, yes, it can easily happen.

Reply to
Kruse

One problem with this is that most of the oil emission is NOT from burning oil, it is oil vapor. We use the term "burning" somewhat colloquially. Pour cooking oil on a hot frying pan. See the somewhat bluish white vapor? Most of it is not combusted (burned) oil.

What happens to most of the oil in an SI engine is that the oil reaches the boiling point after touching hot metal, boils off, comes out the exhaust or breather, and cools enough to start condensing in very small droplets.

Situation in a diesel is different. Here, the fuel (oil) is indeed partially (actually- mostly) burned, but some carbon particles remain. Believe me the industry has spent many man years- probably man centuries- trying to reduce or eliminate smoke (carbon particulate emission). If you can come up with a way, you can achieve fame and fortune, but it is not an easy task.

Back to spark ignition- if you can come up with a lubricant that will lubricate as well as oil, but has a boiling point higher than any metal temperature it is likely to achieve, this would be a great thing. However, years of trying so far haven't worked. This is one of the main roadblocks keeping people from productizing adiabatic engines.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

There are two kinds of diesel smoke- bluish white smoke, which is oil vapor with same cause as blue-white smoke in SI engine. However, black smoke is due to incomplete combustion in combustion chamber.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I don't think visible smoke is the real problem. Even if we would design a lubricant that would burn invisibly, it would still be burning and polluting. The real question I think is whether the owners of vehicles with worn out engines should be required to repair the the engine or take it off the road.

Reply to
John S.

Engine by Mitsubishi, no doubt. ;-)

Synthetic oils (at least Mobil 1) hardly smoke at all when used in an oil burner. HOWEVER- who would pay the $$ to feed synthetic oils to an egregious oil-burning engine? Thats how I even found out that synths don't smoke. I switched my tired old 300,000 mile '66 383 back over to conventional oil when oil consumption got out of hand, and it became an instant smoker. Put it back on Mobil 1 (just to see...) and the smoke quit. Same grade oil, same RATE of consumption- just no smoke with synthetic. I retired the engine not long after that and built up a 440 to go in its place.

Aside from that, I'll bet that even though they don't smoke, synthetics still pollute quite a bit when burned in a gasoline engine. A fluid with the long-chain polymers needed to lubricate well just isn't going to burn very completely in an engine optimized for gasoline (I'm not a chemist either, just an educated guess).

Reply to
Steve

Or the oil can. I did a job on an all-Detroit Diesel powered research ship a number of years ago. Two 12-v-71 generator engines, an 8-v-71 pierside/backup generator, two 12-v-71 thruster engines, a number of

3-71 inline threes and6-71 inline sixes for hydraulic pumps and cranes, and a 12-v-149TI quad-turbo 4-stroke for the main thruster. I heard that "Detroit Diesel scream" in my nightmares for months afterward. Nothing grates on the nerves quite like that racket. Anyway, the ship's engineer confided that the in-port generator engine (the 8-V-71, basically a Grehound bus engine hooked to a generator) burned about 5 GALLONS of lubricating oil per day. The 12-V-71s burned around 7-9 gallons of lubricating oil each per day.
Reply to
Steve
[snip>

Peugeot designed and patented something as simple as a filter. It works fabulously well, only most car manufacturers chose not to apply it because it costs a little money.

[snip>

shakiro

Reply to
shakiro