What size inner tube will produce rubber bands with 8" diameter?

Can anyone tell me the formula for calculating the inside diameter of the air chamber in an inner tube when inflated to just full (not over-inflated as they do for river tubing).

We recently replaced our asphalt driveway with pavers. It looks great, but the trash bins now make an unholy racket when I roll them down the driveway to the curb. I usually do this late at night or very early in the morning, so the racket is annoying to us and to the neighbors.

My solution is to cut rubber bands (3-4" wide) from an inner tube and stretch them over the hard plastic wheels.

I bought a Slime 5001-A inner tube from a local auto parts store that is labeled "700/750 R15/16". I've seen these tubes inflated to several times their normal size for tubing, so I figured it would work. I cut one band from the tube and discovered that it only has a diameter of about 5". I couldn't stretch it enough to get it onto the wheel.

In retrospect, I should have inflated the tube as large as possible and let it sit for a few days to stretch it out, but it's too late for that now. I'm not even sure that would have worked. I could go buy another tube and do that. Does anyone know how much I'd have to inflate it and how I'd have to leave it to ghet it stretched out enough?

Does anyone have another suggestion for a way to stretch a very stiff

5" rubber band to fit over a 10" wheel?

If not, I need a larger inner tube. The question is, what size tube should I look for?

When the 700/750 R15/16 is deflated and laid flat, the tube rubber is just under 8" wide. That is, the rubber band I cut from that tube is just under 8" long. If formed into a circle, the circle has a circumference of just under 16" (2 x 8), which makes a circle with a diameter of just under 5". (C = 2*pi*r = pi*d so d = C/pi).

I think I need a rubber band with a diameter of about 8-9". That would make it possible for me to stretch the band over the tire, but still make it tight enough to stay on.

If my geometry isn't too rusty, I will need a tube with an air chamber that is between 13-14" wide when deflated and laid flat. A band cut from such a tube would have a circumference of twice that (26-28") and a diameter of 8-9".

What size tube is that in standard tire designations?

Any suggestions for where I should go to get a used or discarded tube?

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Prof Wonmug wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Call a truck/tractor/farm-equipment place. They'll know what you need right away.

Reply to
Tegger

I generally dislike duct tape and its many wayward applications, but I think a few turns of it may do it in this case.

Reply to
AMuzi

Harbor freight has a wide assortment of cheap wheels/tires that should work well...

That's probably less than you paid for the innertube.

Reply to
Brent

I called 2-3 tire dealers. None of them could tell me how to determine the cross section of the air chamber from the numbers on the tube box. I guess they don't work that way.

I bought a tube labeled 700/750 R15/16. I thought it might fit because the tires on my car are about 8" wide and 6" thick (rim to tread). It was way too tight. The bands had a diameter of just under 5", which meant I had to stretch it to double it's resting size. I couldn't do it. Apparently the tubes are designed to be about 30-50% smaller than the inside of the tire.

Then I realized that the width (W) of the air chamber when the deflated tube is laid flat is just half of the circumference (C), which means I can calculate the diameter (D):

D = C/pi = 2*W/pi

The width of the tube I bought was about 7.75", so

D = 2 * 7.75 / pi = 4.93

Which is about right.

Based on how hard it was to stretch the car tube from a 5" diameter to a 10" diameter, I figure I need a tube that will yield bands with a diameter between 8" and 9". But I don't know how to calculate the band sized from the numbers on the tube. So I made a little spreadsheet to calculate the diameters from the widths planning to go to a tire store and measure. Here's the table

width (C/2) diameter 6.28 4.00 7.75 4.93 The auto tube (700/750 R15/16) 7.85 5.00 9.42 6.00 11.00 7.00 12.50 7.96 A R20-1400 tube at one tire dealer 12.57 8.00 13.35 8.50 14.14 9.00 Upper limit on size 14.92 9.50 15.71 10.00 17.00 10.82 A R24 tube at one tire dealer

I found an R20 and an R24 tube at one dealer. The R24 is too big. The R20 might be too small. I have one more place to try for an R22./

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

I don't care much for duct tape, either, and I think it would not be a good choice here, but your suggestion got me thinking and I came up with a couple of alternatives.

  1. Rescue Tape. I'd never heard of this before. If it has any thickness at all, it could be just the ticket.

  1. Rubber Bands. Several companies make custom rubber bands. Here are a couple:

Prof Wonmug

I looked into new tires. There are a couple of problems. If they are inflated, then they will eventually lose air. They there is size. The one you show for $4.99 looks too wide. It gives every other dimension. The wheels of the cart are very narrow -- about 1.5" and very little clearance. Then there's the axle size.

I paid about $15 for the tube, but I'll get 15-20 bands from one tube, which works out to about $1 each. ;-)

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

why not just cut strips from the tube you already have and glue them onto the wheels? make 'em too long, overlap the ends, then make one slice with a razor blade and remove the little pieces. et voila. Doesn't cost you a thing, unless you need to buy glue. I'd probably try either contact cement, or automotive trim cement (the 3M yellow snot stuff,) whichever you have handy.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I was a little reluctant to use glue in case I ever needed to remove/replace them, but maybe you have a point. I've never used the trim cement. Is this it?

Prof Wonmug

No, what I think I'm remembering I believe is the 08001. It's yellow, comes in a tube, and is about the consistency of mucus from a really bad head cold. It's like contact cement's evil cousin.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

XQ0C5glDSL8V8KL2Nbl

Reply to
willy

Great trim adhesive:

AMuzi

We usually just refer to it as 3M Yellow Weather Strip Adhesive. It is, imo, far superior to the black adhesive. Has a lot of uses

Reply to
hls

String a piece of rope.Lift up the container and hook it on the rope and pull the container to where you want it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You mean like a dog runline??

Reply to
hls

Yep, like a dog run line.You can use rope, or wire, or cable.Rig a little grooved pully wheel on the trash bin. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin