02 4runner speed governer/limiter

how do you remove the speed limiter/ governer from an 02 4runner

Reply to
Robert

The speed limit is built into the PCM (engine computer). To remove the limit , you need a new computer or at least have the old one reprogrammed. Jet Performance claims they can do this for Toyotas (see

478&make1&model05#1005 ).Since those older style 4Runners are already among the most dangerousvechicles on the highway, why would you want to make them go faster? Theybarely stay upright at highway speeds now. Driving one at over normalhighway speeds is not recommended if you want to live a long time. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Barely stay upright? Could you be exaggerating just a bit?

Reply to
Mark

I just checked the latest statistics and it turns out I am exaggerating for a 2002 4Runner. The statistics for the later model 4Runners (2001-2003) is actually very good (among the best for 4WD SUVs). However the older 4Runners had driver death rates due to roll over accidents among the highest of any vehicles sold in the US. So, I guess for a 2002, I was wrong to say they can barely stay upright (at least compared to other SUVs). Still, SUVs are not designed for high speed driving, and removing the speed limiter seems to be a really bad idea.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

/ALL/ SUV's have stability problems at high speed and in avoidance maneuvers, Toyota doesn't have an exclusive on that - they're way up in the air, and the high CG means they may roll over before the tires break loose and skid. Or you skid until you hit an obstacle like a curb. This is why violent maneuvers are discouraged. ;-)

Back to the original question - There is a valid reason why they put a speed limiter in the EFI computer: so you don't over drive the factory installed tires. The liability lawyers have decreed that if the tires are only good for (let's say) 103 MPH continuous, that's where we'll set the fuel cutoff. That way the auto maker can't be sued if someone goes out on the Autobahn and plants their foot on the floor, and manages to go fast enough for long enough to overheat and grenade a tire.

And when you are traveling at or over the century mark, a tire coming apart suddenly can cause one hell of a wreck.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
Robert

I doubt if you are going to be able to have anyone provide an ECU without the speed limiter. If there is one, it is programmed into the ECU and not a separate "chip." The ECU does have an RPM limit function built into the ECU where the ECU will cut fuel at redline, and I believe that function is programmed into the ECU and not a separate chip.

Reply to
Ray O

That is more true if the vehicle is prone to roll overs in the first place.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
Robert

Okay, but the factory tires were only good for 110 MPH, so that's where they set the speed limiter. You have added the W-rated tires, but Toyota could never know that.

Besides, the handling gets a bit dicey when you go that fast, and it's not something you will want to do again - been there, done that, backed out when the steering wheel got very light...

Why the hell do you feel the need to go that fast in a vehicle that is clearly not suited for the purpose? Buy an MR2 or a Supra for going fast. Or a Corvette, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche.

If you want to get yourself into the record books posthumously, it would be a lot easier to strap a half-dozen JATO rockets to the roof rack, and light them off on a nice long desert road - but before you push the big red button, be sure to check for hard right turns with a mountain in the way. :-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Obviously, the factory is not going to share the information since it would defeat the purpose of programming it in the first place. Since the speed limiting function is not just an extra chip, it would require an entirely new processor.

Reply to
Ray O