6 photos of my the front wheels of that 1985 Toyota

2 wheel drive...

firefly

The first photo shows what appears to be bushing wear - that shiny part showing on the strut. That can also cause noise, but go for the anti-rattle springs first - that is a lot cheaper to try first before you go and replace the control arm.

Reply to
Ray O

I appreciate the help.

I just paid a visit to my local mechanic expert, who told me it was the "CV" joint. He said he knew this because when I turn the wheel the sound stops.

How much do they get for this repair?

---firefly

Reply to
firefly

The constant velocity, or "CV" joint, is what is under the rubber accordion boot on the axle and allows the axle to change angles as the suspension moves up and down and left and right. The right axle has 2 CV joints - 1 near the transmission and 1 near the wheel. I think the one near the transmission can be replaced as a separate part but the one near the wheel has to be replaced with the axle. The cost for the repair is probably going to be pretty close to what you paid to replace the left axle, or a little more, since the right axle is a little longer than the left one.

Reply to
Ray O

If I'm seeing this correctly, the driver's side shock looks like it has a hole in it. It's hard to see, but if you look 'behind' the spring at the bottom fo the shock, it looks like a hole.

A CV joint makes a crunk-crunk-crunk sound, usually when the wheel is turned.

Hey, post some pictures of the exterior of this thing! It looks like it's in solid shape. Where are you? Mine was a rustbucket.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The more I look at that pic, the more I see. It looks like a hole rusted through, and the oil sprayed out on the car. There's leakage on the cup below the spring, and oil on the inner fender well, and more oil above the tire. I would take a good look at the shock...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I thought that was from when the boot came off the axle.

---firefly

Reply to
firefly

I think you are looking up through the upper skirt on the strut. The oil all over the place looks like it got flung from the leaking CV joint boot. Leaking struts generally don't spray all over the place like that.

Reply to
Ray O

It might be, but the shock still looks like it has a hole in it. It might just be the angle of the picture, but I'd sure have a look (a shock with no oil makes a THUMP-THUMP sound...)

Reply to
Hachiroku