a constant reader who may be of help !

Hi again -

This past week my wife informed me that the cd changer in the 03 Avalon was not working, (which thrilled me to the core...or maybe "chilled" is a better word.). So with the help of a couple of websites telling me how to dismantle the dashboard, I took off some components - most were easy but the air vent assembly above the radio is a bear to remove - and when I was able to take off the four 10mm bolts fixing it to the dash, and separating it from the ventilation system module below it (easy in both cases) I removed it from the dash by removing the antenna connections and the power/speaker harness. This can be tricky, since you're supposed to remove the negative battery cable to remove the electrical connection, which I didn't. However, no short circuits ensued. I was lucky. When I got the radio out, I pried off the top and immediately found the problem. I had thought there was one CD in the radio, but there were two, and they were jammed together in the player. I carefully pushed them out through the front slot, and then reattached the power harness, turned on the radio and loaded one CD into it. Success! I haven't yet had the guts to load more than one CD into the changer and play it, but at least it didn't require fixing anything electronic. If you have such a problem, with the CD changer refusing to play, to load in another CD or to remove the CD that's in there, try taking a peek inside to see if your problem is as mine was, with two CDs stuck together in the top, unable to move. As I said above, the only thing that is difficult about this is removing the air vent assembly, which has to come straight back out of its nest in the dash, and is attached with clips that are almost impossible to get to. Be cautious and don't bend the plastic bezel too much.

Reply to
mack