Jerk When Shifting to Forward

My 02 Corolla gives a jerk when shifting from reverse to front gear. This is much more noticable in colder climate. I came across a random article on internet which mentioned that the automatic transmission could be bad? My car has 53000 miles and I had once changed the transmission fluid around 50K miles. Any suggestions?

Reply to
leolite1

During cold weather, the engine takes longer to warm up and so it idles at a higher speed for a longer time. The higher the idle speed, the more shift shock you will experience when changing directions.

I doubt if the transmission is bad. I would have a dealer take it for a test drive for a professional evaluation to determine if the amount of shift shock you are experiencing is normal or not.

If the shift shock is excessive, possible causes are idle speed too high and bad engine or transmission mounts.

Reply to
Ray O