Lights On

I'm wondering if anyone can give some hints on this. The Brake, Charge and Tail-Brake-Lights indicator lights in my 1990 Camry would come on for a few minutes during drive. They don't come on right after start and will go off by themselves after a few minutes. The engine and the car run fine during this time. All the other indicator do not have this problem.

So where should I start?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
ZR

Classic indicatuion that your alternator is telling you it's on the way out...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks! Is there a way to test if that's the case when it's not acting up?

Reply to
ZR

You could probably take it to autozone and have them test it.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

BAH! They will probably tell you it's bad and have you buy a new one for $75 or LOTS more...

Well, that IS their business after all!!

BUT...I am willing to bet that the brushes have worn down. You can get brushed at CarQuest for about $9.

If you're lucky, they are the screw-in type. You replace the brushes and screw the terminals onto theterminals on the alternator.

I'm not lucky...on my 'Hachiroku' and my Celica GT-S they needed to be soldered. No big deal, I've been soldering professionally since I was 19.

the BITCH is, getting the whole mess back together, with the springs and the brushes. If you're lucky, again, you can get a plastic 'sleeve' somewher that will fit over everything and slide the whole mess back together. I'm not that lucky. With one hand, you hold one side, with the other hand you hold the brushes and springs in place, and with your third hand you mate the two halves together...

Might as well replace the bearings while you're at it...$17 at Toyota, $8 at CarQuest.

Beats $80 or more for a new alternator! Takes a patient person about 2 hours...takes ME three!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I didn't take it to test at Autozone. My thinking was they are either going to lie or couldn't find any problem when it's not acting up which is most of the time.

$115 for rebuilt.

You are absolutely right. The brushes were only 4mm, less than the minimum of 4.5mm.

New brushes are $4 a pair at Autozone.

They are screw-on type. But the two screws holding the brush holder are special and need special tool to take they off. I didn't realize that till it was too late. Besides I don't have the special (square?) screw driver and don't want to run around to buy the tool just for this. I ended up broke one of terminal. I had to solder it back. But I had to solder the brushes onto the holder anyway.

It would not have been that bad if it were not for the broken screw. I had to hold the brushes, the springs, the holder and the regulater altogether while putting the whole thing in place.The original brushes seem to have some type of groves to hold the springs inside the holder.

Took an impatient person like me half a day. After put everything back together and installed on the car, I noticed I forgot the rubber boot while testing. Had to redo it. But still worth $110 saving.

Reply to
ZR