(OT:) MySpace home for predators?

MySpace has identified 29,000 registered sex offenders using their site, and has removed them in an effort to protect teenagers who use their site:

A Parent's Guide to MySpace.com:

Here in Mass, a local mother says that she's concerned about her teenage daughter being safe on MySpace.

Why aren't you watching her?

The point of this post *was* that in order to use MySpace.com, you *used* to have to be 18. However:

Eligibility. Use of and Membership in the MySpace Services is void where prohibited. By using the MySpace Services, you represent and warrant that (a) all registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; (c) you are 14 years of age or older; and (d) your use of the MySpace Services does not violate any applicable law or regulation. Your profile may be deleted and your Membership may be terminated without warning, if we believe that you are under 14 years of age.

So, they have lowered the age requirement. That's why I thought it was odd they were worried about sexual preditors.

But, judging by the news in my own home area over the past couple of years, if you're looking for a hot teenager, MySpace is the place to go!

There have been at least 6 arrests of people from Western Mass and Connecticut, and a few cases of girls contacting men for sex on MySpace in the past couple years.

Aren't you parents paying attention to what the hell your kids are doing on-line? What? Oh, OK...as long as they leave you alone. I see...

Reply to
Hachiroku

However, the age requirement idea is stupid to begin with. There's no way the company can confirm the birth date provided by users.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Well, not for 14 year olds. For others there are driver's licenses and credit cards.

Reply to
Hachiroku

you need a credit card number to sign up for myspace?

Reply to
EdV

No. But if it were an 18+ 'club', credit cards would be a way to check.

The onus really falls on the parents to make sure the kids aren't being preyed upon...

or *inviting* it...

Reply to
Hachiroku