Re: OT - Agents freed

> Yesterday's news, but not the call for an investigation of legal > misconduct on the part of our government. > > Go, Congressman Poe. >

It would be interesting to know what these two cops think of the "war on drugs" now that it's clear they were used as pawns.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

....or their salary X number of years to normal retirement. They chose to be involved in the silly "war on drugs".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Screw the whole thing. Abolish the program. It's a multi-billion dollar waste, except, of course, for the jobs it creates. There's the problem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't let their title narrow your thinking on this issue. The facts prove you wrong, as always.

Around 15 percent of the Immigration and Naturalization Service budget is drug related. Most of the INS' drug-enforcement work relates to the detention and deportation of alien drug offenders and to the work of the

6,800-strong Border Patrol and 3,500 INS inspectors, concentrated heavily along the U.S.-Mexico frontier from Texas to Southern California and at U.S. ports of entry. Along with Operation Hold the Line, out of El Paso, Texas, and Operation Safeguard, in Arizona, the INS' largest deployment is Operation Gatekeeper, which runs along all 66 miles of southern San Diego County, using fences, lighting, permanent and mobile checkpoints and high-tech gadgets like ground sensors, low-light television cameras, night-vision scopes and a sophisticated computer biometrics system that analyzes fingerprints to identify repeat offenders. The INS also uses what it calls LORIS trucks, four-wheel-drive vehicles carrying infrared telescopes that can provide sweeping, long-distance views of desert terrain day or night.

Last year the INS made 6,252 drug seizures, which included 653,000 pounds of marijuana and 19,977 pounds of cocaine, along with a substantial catch, near Marfa, Texas, of more than 1,600 pounds of heroin. Of the 6,558 drug smugglers apprehended by the INS, most were so-called "mules" carrying a few pounds of cocaine or other substances. Occasionally, however, INS Border Patrol agents find huge shipments of drugs. On July 17, 1996, agents operating a highway checkpoint on Interstate 35, just north of Laredo, Texas, seized 3,332 pounds of cocaine.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why are you talking about drugs and drug runners if the issue (according to you) is border security?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Preventing the importing of illegal drugs is a BIG border security issue. Are you STONED, again?

Reply to
Sharx35

I know that. Tell that to Strickland, who doesn't seem to get it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom