Replacing power steering fluid

This is pretty straightforward:

However, on my car, the recommended ATF has been replaced by Power Steering Fluid, and who knows if it was done properly?

I read something in a Supra Owner's Group site that if the steering starts feeling wonky, and there aren't any problems with the rack, that the fluid needs to be replaced. The instructions are clear, and I have better instructions from someone who followed the TSRM and came up with a couple tricks (so you don't have hydraulic fluid spraying all over the place...) but how can I flush the system and refill with the correct ATF? Should I just start the flushing process with ATF and continue for an extended amount of time?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachi if you are going by the color of the fluid, the OEM Toyota fill is brown, not red as you might expect. The fluids should mix without any problems or incompatibilities so a drain and refill should be sufficient.

Reply to
Mr.E

THat's what I'm doing! The OEM fill was *brown* for ATF? Interesting.

I have been putting in PSF for three years now!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Use a turkey baster to suck out as much fluid as you can from the reservoir, then top off with Dexron III and then try your drain trick.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm worried more about the effects of turkey fat to the power steering system. :)

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Did they change the spec because they changed the materials in the PS system, as Ford did when they started using aluminum PS pumps? Chrysler, even for 1970s models, required a yellow PS fluid, but my father used Dexron ATF anyway because the pump was the same as those found in GM cars, and he kept the car for well over a decade and never had a PS problem.

I avoid spilling fluid by connecting a long hose to the the PS return hose and poking it through a tight hole in the cap of a detergent bottle (must also make a small air vent hole) set in an oil drain tub on the ground. Some soft, black powdery stuff always comes out with the old fluid and eventually settles at the bottom of the bottle. The first time I changed the fluid, I failed to burp the air out of the system, and when I started the car the next day, I got a surprise when the steering wheel yanked to one side while I cranked the engine.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The spec hasn't changed; someone put the incorrect fluid in Hachi's PS system.

Reply to
Ray O

It may work better!

Reply to
hachiroku +O+A+m+/

But not any more! Took more time to jack the car, rig the hoses and clean the reservoir than to actually flush the rack!

Reply to
Hachiroku

BTW, if you are getting any jerkiness or noise when turning the steering wheel, with the engine off, jack up the car and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times.

Reply to
Ray O

That's how I flushed the system! Flush and 'burp' all at once!

It's working quite nicely now. I was getting the jerkiness before I did the flush. That's why I flushed it!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku