Starting problem 2001 Prizm

Have a 2001 Prizm. Great car. 170k miles. Well taken care of. Recently, on two occassions, when cold starting in the morning, ambient 40 degrees, it nearly starts, then dies. Cranking three times for 5 seconds each, finally starts but acts like it's flooded. Stumbles/missfires for a few seconds, idling slowly, then smooths out and is fine afterwards. Maybe fuel pressure regulator? Leaking or stuck injector? Had similar problem with Mercedes a few years ago, turned out to be pressure regulator diaphragm leaking raw fuel into manifold. What do you gentlemen think?

Reply to
Richard Joseph

Check the temp sensor and cold start valve. Those could easily be two components that would exhibit the symptoms that you describe.

Reply to
user

Did you put Champion spark plugs in it? ;)

Just kidding, sort of. I had this same problem years ago using cheap, aftermarket tune-up parts. Including Champion spark plugs.

Also happened again a few years later using cheap aftermarket components, but not as bad since I started using NGK or Nippon-Denso U-Groove plugs.

Reply to
Hachiroku

A leaking or stuck injector would probably leak or stick in other conditions besides cold soak and there would be symptoms like poor fuel economy, smoke, or drivability problems.

If the car is difficult to start after a cold soak and runs poorly for the first few minutes, check the coolant temperature sender for the ECU.

I believe that the fuel pressure regulator is back in the tank so it will not leak raw fuel into the intake manifold. You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge near the fuel rail, let the car cold soak, and then see if fuel pressure had dropped overnight. If fuel pressure drops, then the fuel pressure regulator is bleeding down. If fuel pressure is relatively steady but drops when cranking, then there is a problem with the fuel pump.

Reply to
Ray O