Starting trouble with 1991 Camry

I have a 1991 Camry (4cyl) with about 130,000 miles. Overall it runs great, however occasionally when my wife has been driven it for a while and decides to run into a store when she comes back out the car won't crank over. It seems like no power is making it to the starter. She ends up having to wait for about 30 minutes for the engine to cool before the vehicle will start up. Once the engine has cooled it starts right up everytime.

So far I have replaced the following:

Starter Ignition switch Main EFI relay

The car always starts right up when the engine is cold. If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them. I am thinking of replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor, does anybody have any thoughts on how effective this might be?

Thanks in advanced,

Reply to
jpleming

I can't help, sorry. But I am very interested, I once had a 1990 Jetta that did the EXACT same thing. I always thought the stater was getting too hot, and I considered making a heat sheild between the exhaust header/manifold and the starter, I sold the car before I got around to it though.

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Oh one other thing, kinda important, I have had HORRIBLE luck with remanufactured starters from chain auto parts stores in my 4Runner, I actually bought one from Auto Zone, and then got THREE warranty replacements within 3 weeks, all of which failed with similar results to yours. I ended up buying a new one from the Toyota dealer, no more trouble. So if you replaced the starter with one from an autoparts store, something to consider.

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Check the contacts in the starter relay for wear. When the car is acting up, has anyone tried shifting to neutral to see if it starts? If is starts in neutral but not in park, you should check the neutral safety switch.

The coolant temperature sensor will not have any effect on the no-start condition.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, it won't start in neutral either. Do you know where the starter relay would be located by chance?

Thanks,

Reply to
jpleming

It will have at least 4 wires - 2 thick wires to carry the current to the starter motor and the other wires will be thinner gauge control wires. The thick wires will run between the starter and the battery. It may be an integral part of the starter. When you replaced the starter, where did you get it?

Reply to
Ray O

I got the starter from autozone.

Reply to
jpleming

Ray's got you on the right track. The neutral safety switch is a common cause for this.

Reply to
timbirr

I've heard of a lot of complaints about the quality of aftermarket starters so replacing it is no guarantee that the problem is fixed.

Did the starter include the relay?

Reply to
Ray O

My 89 Corolla 4WD had what seems to be the same habit. We changed starters and solenoid contacts and alarm immobiliser switch and we tested the ignition switch thoroughly, but nothing really helped. At last we found that the cause was oxidation under the transmission end of the negative main battery cable. When that connection was rubbed clean and tightened the problem fully disappeared. By the way, that car now has gone past 400 000 km, and the original clutch is now beginning to wear out.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn