1999 Camry Gear Shift Indicator Light

Hello.

The indicator light on my gear shift that illuminates the P, R, N, D, etc has burned out, and I'd like to replace it. Can someone please tell me how to access it?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John

If all the instrument lights are out then you might want to check the fuse first. The instrument cluster bezel has a few screws to hold it, remove those, carefully pull the bezel out (you may want to pad the steering column), then remove the screws for the cluster and pull that out.

Always disconnect the battery and wait 3 minutes to disable SRS. Autozone's free online guide has some diagrams for the more complex 96 generation, but it should give you some ideas. Check your local Pep Boys for 99's Haynes manuals.

Hello.

Reply to
johngdole

======== If you mean the cover near the shift lever, you should be able to pry up carefully at the corner to remove.

Reply to
Daniel

Well, I managed to get at it yesterday. I can see why the dealer wanted to charge $100 to replace the bulb (which only costs $1.59 after tax) - it's about an hour's worth of work for someone who actually knows what they're doing. Since I had no clue what I was doing, it took me about 3 hours. It's most definitely NOT a simple matter of prying up a cover and replacing the bulb - you have to remove one part to get at another, which you then have to remove to get at another, etc. Then once you finally have access to where the bulb is, it's a chore actually getting it out because most adult hands simply will not fit in there to be able to pull it out or unscrew it.

Of course, the fact that I dropped a screwdriver bit way down deep into the console didn't help matters :)

Reply to
John

LOL! You expected anything different?! I bought one of those extendable magnets to get those and screws out of places like that!

Of course...on my Grand Voyager, I wasn't that lucky...had to remove the lower part of the dash...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I suppose I was lucky in the sense that I already had the appropriate covers off, so it's not like I had to remove anything else just to get at the screwdriver bit. I managed to get at it with a pair of longnose pliers (I mean a longer pair than standard).

Reply to
John

replying to John, John Kennedy wrote: How do I change the light for the gear shift indicator

Reply to
John Kennedy